Rail maintenance supplies question

jhock

Does any one know what sort of supplies would be delivered by lorry to engineers sidings for rail maintenance?

The reason for the question is I am making a small modern image O gauge layout, one of the main features is a flatbed artic lorry delivering to the site.

From what I have seen I will start the list of with the following:

Maintenance equipment - rail trailer (for transporting equipment by rail)

Bagged building supplies?

Building blocks on pallets?

Crossing timbers and rail maybe delivered by road (Have seen both)

Road rail machines and their bits (trailers etc)

Early 1980's saw small items arriving and PW depot, screws, spikes, ferrules, clips and nylons to name a few.

Also small plant from generators and lighting to Wickham's, clippers and packers etc.

• RMweb Premium

To some extent it depends on the job being undertaken. For example replacement of a 'stock and switch' (thats one point blade and its associated fixed rail in laymans terms) will usually see the new one dispatched by lorry to the nearest road railer access point ready to be moved into position later. Similarly renewal of a glued IBJ will again involve the pre-assembled bit being delivered by road ready to be put in place with each end welded onto the existing rails when the old one has been cut out.

Obviously long lengths of CWR or pre-asembled turnouts will be delivered by rail but big jobs like that tend to be in the minority compared to things like welding in short new sections of rail to remove a defect, renewing IBJs, a new stock & switch or new crossing units (the frog in model term). In these cases delivery by road will be the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived