Triang X04 DCC settings

highpeakman

• RMweb Gold

I have fitted a chip to an old Hornby J13 0-6-0 Tank which uses an X04 motor (R396). The loco runs quite well but I feel that such an old design of motor would benefit from good Torque Compensation settings and that possibly giving it a good "kicking" may help it start smoothly and run better at slow speeds.

I think the magnet is OK as it runs quite well under DC (before chip fitting) although I am loking at replacing the magnet anyway.

Does anyone have any recommended kick rate and kick strength settings for this motor please? (Any proven CV2 Vstart settings would also be appreciated).

I am using a NCE D13SR decoder which has a continuous rating of 1.3A and a stall rating of 2A so there should not be any problems running with this motor (hopefully!).

I am using a SPROG II with JMRI working with a rolling road for set up  and track running employs a NCE Power Cab.

I have played around a bit with the settings but would appreciate any advice from the experts out there please. Thanks.

No different in principle from any other motor. Nudge the CV2 value around until it gives the slowest reliable start and crawl on speed step 1.

Other folk's experience is simply not transferable, unless you happen to luck into someone with an XO4 in the same condition as yours, using the same decoder. I could have told you that CV2 set to 2 on a Lenz silver delivers a really smooth start, comparable to good current RTR like a Bach 9F or Hornby Brit. It does on the XO4 in my old B12 chassis, easily the best XO4 I ever had, superb from purchase in the 1960s until this day of writing. I could also have told you that it needs CV2 set to about 25, which is what the XO4 in the old Princess needs to start first time, every time. Lots of CV3 means it doesn't gallop away too fast, but it isn't a smooth start by any means.

Check your decoder's spec. for a 'starting kick' function: if available that may guarantee a start and enable a lower value in CV2 which will then sustain running. My poorer XO4 in the Princess will sustain a crawl once running with CV2 set at about 15, so if the Lenz decoder had that function I could set CV2 lower. Tried it with a Zimo, and that could start and run it dead slow with CV2 set at 9, a smoother start obtained by tinkering around with some of the motor taming functions. However the general mechanical crudity means such a high grade decoder is really wasted on this motor and chassis, it cannot do a proper 'creep' into motion even with the Zimo.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments 34C.

I still posess my two original Triang Jintys (although they will not be converted to DCC) dating from the late 50s so I do understand that there is a wide variation between the motor performance although perhaps I had hoped that this would be less true for later versions - my J13 dates from about 1982 and has only just been acquired by me (cheap eBay buy) as a "project" industrial loco- not sure why I was so hopeful that it had improved really as the motors seem to be of identical construction.

I will keep playing with the CV2 settings until it seems about right as you suggest.

The "Kick" function is definately available from the decoder on CV116 and CV117 and I thought that this might help with a "cruder"  type of motor design particularly at lower shunting speeds. I assume that using this function is unlikley to damage an X04 so will just keep playing with settings.

Have been slightly distracted in the last hour as a new Bachmann Class 45 with sound has just been delivered - first quick test run suggests that the engine sound is "out of sync" with speed - it moves and then revs up! More trials and tribulations of DCC! :scratchhead:

Anyway Thank you again for your comments 34C - they are appreciated and helpful.

Archived