Laurence Hill

Vanders

Whos stone plasticard have you used for that bridge? Looks great.

It's South Eastern Finecast (FBS217). It turns out to be bloody difficult to get hold of (I ordered it via. Buffers Model Railways in the end). You have to square it off yourself, but otherwise it's very nice; much better definition than Slaters, for example.

Have you tried ordering direct from SE Finecast? I have only ordered once  for some American bond brickwork in OO but the gentleman at the other end of the line was very friendly and helpful.

Yes, that would have been my next option. When I say it's difficult to get hold of, it's simply that unlike their 4mm & 7mm sheets, I've never seen the 2mm stuff in a shop. It also doesn't seem to be generally sold online by places that do sell SE Finecast; Buffers & SE Finecast themselves seem to be the only two places I've found it, so far.

Painting is finished, and I've been able to start assembling it into a complete bridge. Despite mostly winging it, I'm really very happy with how all of it came out!

post-3643-0-98828500-1393773714.jpg

post-3643-0-04756600-1393773720.jpg

The entire thing has to be removable at it sits across the board joint, so I have some more engineering to do to make sure it doesn't all fall apart at the first opportunity and to actually make it "plug in" to the board.

You edited that just to spoil my joke. Boooo.

Oh no RBE, I quite liked it, But I Don't want to steal your thunder,  I can alway change it back if you want - But I thought it was to the point :thankyou: - I must admit I did have a laugh about it myself :yes:

Cheers.

Bob.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, mostly because I've reached the point which is fast becoming my least favourite bit of building a layout: starting the scenery. I've further complicated things for myself because the bridge and old line in the centre of the layout needs to be removable, and I'm still scratching my head over how best to achieve that.

post-3643-0-48788500-1397919288_thumb.jpg

It's all very boring: lumps of polystyrene stuck down with solvent free grab adhesive and shaped with a hacksaw blade (or will be, once everything has dried). All very pedestrian so far, although I hope I can motivate myself to get the majority of this tedious task finished by the end of the Easter weekend!

Is that a sink hole between the tracks !?

I'd thought I'd model a small washout. It'll have a gang of men in orange vests furiously pouring concrete into it.

(It's actually a hole for the Dapol signals to fit into once the scenery is slightly more advanced and my chances of breaking them in half is significantly reduced)

It's interesting that you have started  the scenery and landscaping before the trackwork is completed. Personally, I prefer to finish, test, paint , ballast the track and satisfy myself that all is well before moving on. I'm not saying it's a better way, and its always good to see other peoples approach. Excellent modelling and concept, I have been following the thread.

It's interesting that you have started  the scenery and landscaping before the trackwork is completed. Personally, I prefer to finish, test, paint , ballast the track and satisfy myself that all is well before moving on. I'm not saying it's a better way, and its always good to see other peoples approach.

There is a method in my approach; because the track will run alongside platforms or walls for large sections, I figured it would be much easier (and look better) to have the walls & platforms in place before I ballasted. The bits that aren't either in the yard or alongside walls is minimal, so I figured it'd be easier to just ballast it all in one go.

I spent a few more hours today out in the shed and got most of the lumps of polystyrene shaped. I'll probably do my usual thing of living with it for a little while to make sure it looks O.K before deciding if it's "done". I can concentrate on building some of the other structures such as walls etc. before I do anything else to the landscaping.

• 2 months later...

Hey Matt

I'm in a slump at the moment; with work and various other things taking up much of my time, I haven't had the time, energy or inclination to do much modelling. Basically I'm being lazy! Just one of those things; I'll throw myself back into it soon, no doubt.

It's great to see this as I live in kingswood, just up from Lawrence hill!

Been to the station so many times to see tours ect,

Love this!

Inspired me to do something from Bristol in oo gauge about 1.5ftx12ft boards, any ideas?

It's great to see this as I live in kingswood, just up from Lawrence hill!

Been to the station so many times to see tours ect,

Love this!

Inspired me to do something from Bristol in oo gauge about 1.5ftx12ft boards, any ideas?

Thanks! I'm in Warmley myself, as it happens.

It depends on your era, really. If you want something modern, have you thought about the Westerleigh Oil Terminal? I've always thought the Ashton Meadows exchange sidings would make an interesting model, but you'd have to model it as more of an "impression" of to fit it into 1.5' x 12' in OO!

To be honest, you'd struggle with Westerleigh in the space you've mentioned - I know, I've tried!

By the time you've got a class 60 (approx 1ft in length) and a few tankers (approx 6" length) behind it, and taken account of the need to run around the train (at least 1ft for the headshunt, plus the point work which could add another ft if you use Streamline large points) you're down to about 6ft of board space into whcih you need to fit the approach (more pointwork), the split off for the terminal and the exchange sidings (more pointwork) and a fiddle yard...

Archived