VSOE Pullman bogie details

Chris Higgs

Is there anyone out there who knows the technical details of the rebuilds that VSOE did to their Pullmans? I am particularly interested in the Pullmans that were K Stock, and were retro-fitted with Gresley bogies by VSOE - for example Ibis and Ione. Specifically, I want to know whether when changing the bogies, the original bogie centres of 43'4" on the K stock was changed that of the U stock that were built with Gresleys, 45'4".

Technical question I know, but I am always amazed on RMWEB with the amount of knowledge there is within the members.

Chris

In my view it would take an awful lot of work to change the bogie centres, like rebuilding the underfame!

However, that is what clearly has happened. Some of the VSOE cars are of the all-steel construction as used in 1928-29 for the Queen of Scots Pullman stock. These had no trussing when built, however they now do.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

However, that is what clearly has happened. Some of the VSOE cars are of the all-steel construction as used in 1928-29 for the Queen of Scots Pullman stock. These had no trussing when built, however they now do.

Chris

I thought I read somewhere that the trus work added to these cars was purely cosmetic, done to make them match the others (just as the ex 1951 cars had their original square toilet windows changed for round ones)

Archived