Bachmann class 85 - directional lighting

Southend Belle

I've just bought a Bachmann class 85, the electric blue one with two pantographs and white roof. When running forward the headcode is illuminated and a red light shows at the rear, but there is no white headlight lit at the front. Is this correct or have I got a duff model with no white directional light? When run in the reverse direction the headcode at the (now) front end lights and red taillight at the other end, but again no white light at the front. Looking at the model it does seem that there are two lights at each end - but is only one a working light?

• RMweb Gold

That is correct, as built the only forward lighting was the headcode, when headcodes were discontinued the panel had two white marker lights put in instead.

The other lights are both tail lights although only one works (correctly) as they could not both be on at the same time in real life.

Andi

That is correct, as built the only forward lighting was the headcode, when headcodes were discontinued the panel had two white marker lights put in instead.

The other lights are both tail lights although only one works (correctly) as they could not both be on at the same time in real life.

Andi

Thanks Andi, I just thought it odd that only one red light showed, but your reply answers my question, many thanks.

Bob

In case your also not aware of it, the single red tail light is designed to be manually switched off via one of the two switches hidden in the roof. 

These red lights should only be in operation when running light engine although in practice it might be a faff to keep changing it.

In case your also not aware of it, the single red tail light is designed to be manually switched off via one of the two switches hidden in the roof. 

These red lights should only be in operation when running light engine although in practice it might be a faff to keep changing it.

Thanks - yes, I found the two little switches on the roof and tried them both - with a very tiny screwdriver! Presumably the 85s never ran with a driving van trailer in this -or any - livery????

Regards, Bob

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - yes, I found the two little switches on the roof and tried them both - with a very tiny screwdriver! Presumably the 85s never ran with a driving van trailer in this -or any - livery????

Regards, Bob

Correct, 85s never had any form of multiple working capability.

Andi

Archived