Metra "Winnebago" 3D printed shell

shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Oh no!

This is going to mean I will have to start thinking about a Chicago area location for a new N scale layout as that has been a possibility since getting the Kato Metra set.

Maybe Aurora will have to be on our Summer list of places to visit......

I've an idea brewing based on the BNSF "racetrack" , however it hinges on the upcoming Kato N scale Metra F40PHs and how accurate they are. Nice that the Winnebago is being done.

On the Trainorders thread on this , there's a chap with the user name of 3rdBoxcar who says he has had Horizon fleet cars in N from Shapeways as well.

I've an idea brewing based on the BNSF "racetrack" , however it hinges on the upcoming Kato N scale Metra F40PHs and how accurate they are. Nice that the Winnebago is being done.

On the Trainorders thread on this , there's a chap with the user name of 3rdBoxcar who says he has had Horizon fleet cars in N from Shapeways as well.

Sheesh, i'm properly in the wrong scale, i'm after Horizon's for an Amtrak corridor train too and the Walthers ones have suddenly become unobtainable it seems!

Oh no!

This is going to mean I will have to start thinking about a Chicago area location for a new N scale layout as that has been a possibility since getting the Kato Metra set.

Maybe Aurora will have to be on our Summer list of places to visit......

I really need to finish up the topic I was writing on the suitability of modeling Aurora...

• 7 months later...

Hi guys.  Just wanted to provide you with an update on my Metra F40PHM-2 project.  Attached is a photo I took this evening of the latest test shell that I had printed.  I had hoped that this one would be "all systems go" and then I could go ahead and make the model available for sale on Shapeways.

Unfortunately while everything fits together beautifully, I noticed that there is a misalignment between the side doors on the shell and the steps on the frame.  I'll need to make this one final adjustment before I consider it finished.

After that, I'll need to find a custom decal printer who accepts raster files for the Metra logo and lettering.  Microscale used to make a decal set for Metra locomotives but discontinued it due to licensing issues.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Damin.

post-17208-0-47270000-1376458805_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are interested, the model is now available for sale through Shapeways.  The URL is https://www.shapeways.com/model/682473/metra-f40phm-2.html.

I am investigating a lead in regards to getting decals made for the locomotive.  Details will be provided once a final agreement has been reached.

Thanks,

Damin.

• 1 month later...

And here are some photos of the finished model decorated as METX 212.

When I received these pictures all I could say is, "Wow!"  I'm really excited that, not only was he able to successfully complete a model using a shell that I designed, but that the results turned out so well.  Now I've got to get off of my butt and finish some of my own!

If you are interesting in seeing more of Jeff's work, his website can be found at http://milwaukeeroadtrainshop.com.

Thanks,

Damin.

post-17208-0-59945600-1380259728_thumb.jpg

post-17208-0-73585800-1380259734_thumb.jpg

post-17208-0-87921800-1380259739_thumb.jpg

post-17208-0-56555500-1380259746_thumb.jpg

Which decals did he use to finish the loco?

Jeff custom-printed them using an ALPS printer.  He has offered to provide these decals to others for a fee.  He asks that you provide a photo of the painted model that is ready for decaling.  This is to ensure that his decals will actually get used, instead of being stashed away for "some day."  If you are interested, you can contact him through his website, MilwaukeeRoadTrainShop.com.

Thanks,

Damin.

Damin, been thinking about this as an HO modeller - whilst I suspect producing a complete shell would result in a very expensive loco in HO, would it be possible to do just a cab that we could swap onto a Kato shell, as they already provide for a 'Metra-spec' F40PH?

• RMweb Gold

Our next USA N scale layout is gonig to be Norfolk Southern.

Looks like its going to have to be based in the CHicago area with this superb shell and other Metra rolling stock now being available.

Now to find a suitable location on our next trip out there.

Ian

Our next USA N scale layout is gonig to be Norfolk Southern.

Yay! More big-n-black...

The only major problem with modelling NS is that you have to modify and paint your own Dash 9s as Kato doesn't make an NS-spec one. Fortunately black is easy and decals are available.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Yay! More big-n-black...

The only major problem with modelling NS is that you have to modify and paint your own Dash 9s as Kato doesn't make an NS-spec one. Fortunately black is easy and decals are available.

Adrian

Theres going to be a fair bit of colour as my other half wants all the heritage ones aswell as the black ones.

The downside is that Kato have just released some of the heritage liveries that they are doing so not a cheap time!!

The Winnebego is now on that list of items to get aswell!

Ian

Archived