Widened Lines Trip Cock question

Tappa

Afternoon all - as part of the research for my new layout, the question of trip cocks being fitted has arisen. I know the loco's that worked the passenger services via the Hotel Curve were fitted with a trip cock, but my question is, what about workings from the London Midland Region? My layout is based on a mythical station at Mount Pleasant (cue a reply from Baby Deltic about his layout project!), although mine is called Margery Street and set in 1976. I have decided that there will be parcels workings from the LM Region via Kentish Town to the Post Office at Mount Pleasant.

All info greatfully awaited!

I can only speak for when BR Trains operated over LUL lines as in Aylesbury to Harrow On The Hill, The old 115 DMU's that ran over these lines never had any tripcock equipment fitted as they ran with a guard on board but when the then new 165 turbo units came on line that where driver only operated they had to run with tripcocks. Many times we used to run Ballast trains up and down the met on a weekend and they all ran with a trainmen 'G' on board so as long as the train runs with a guard on board you should be ok but the widened lines could be different

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall an allocation of Derby Sulzers to Cricklewood for this purpose that were so fitted.  I was very young and the conversation started from the excitement of seeing a loco hauled train rather than the diet of 127s that used to rattle to St.Albans and beyond.

Some further info here:

http://districtdavesforum.co.uk/index.cgi?board=History&action=display&thread=10524&page=5

Trains that ran on the Widened Lines "should" have all bee trip cock fitted. I no longer have my Met Line appendices, but the District Dave link should have the answers.

In my days at KX all the FP and some Hitchin 31s had trip cocks for working the WL as did the FP Cravens DMU fleet. If the trip cock didn't work, a second man had to be provided, no problem on the 31s as he was there anyway to work the steam heat boiler. There was indeed an alocation of Cricklewood diesel locos that were trip cock fitted as were their DMUs.

In steam days, 3Fs were fitted as were GN locos that ran through. There was a trip cock tester at York Road platform. It was the 2nd man's job to reset the trip cock and cut it in before entering the tunnel, and to isolate it before leaving KX heading north!

The LT rule book at the time said that any train where the leading trip cock was inoperative or isolated had to run out of service and the guard had to ride in the leading cab, the only exception being the last train of the day to a destination.

• RMweb Premium

I must admit that I thought anything over the north end of the Met had to have a tripcock as well so I'm surprise about the comment that some units didn't. In fact I believe there is a tripcock test at Amersham and the southbound starter won't clear if that has not been activated.

The guard of SB trains arriving at Amersham from Aylesbury also had to plunge to indicate that the train had arrived complete as the box couldn't see the tail lamp.

Tripcocks are also used on other sections where Underground services operate such as the Kilburn to Harrow & Wealdstone on the DC line.

Gunnersbury-Richmond and East Putney-Wimbledon. BR stock on these lines is NOT trip cock fitted, but train stops are fitted for the use of LT trains.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's taken a while to find but i knew i'd seen mention of a tripcock tester somewhere..

attachicon.gifFinsbury Park No7.JPG

ISTR a colleague who lived in Chatham had somehow managed to get to Drayton Park for the first morning of the new (313) service back in the '70s. The first train appeared - and he heard someone say "Not this one - it's failed its tripcock test in the depot!" An auspicious start!

• RMweb Gold

Gunnersbury-Richmond and East Putney-Wimbledon. BR stock on these lines is NOT trip cock fitted, but train stops are fitted for the use of LT trains.

313 sets based at Bletchley were tripcock fitted. These worked the NLL services in the late 1980s into the 90s.

It's taken a while to find but i knew i'd seen mention of a tripcock tester somewhere..

attachicon.gifFinsbury Park No7.JPG

There were tripcock testers on the DC Lines located IIRC on the Down approaching Kilburn, the Up at Hatch End and the chord between Kensal Rise and Willesden LL

I must admit that I thought anything over the north end of the Met had to have a tripcock as well so I'm surprise about the comment that some units didn't. In fact I believe there is a tripcock test at Amersham and the southbound starter won't clear if that has not been activated.

The guard of SB trains arriving at Amersham from Aylesbury also had to plunge to indicate that the train had arrived complete as the box couldn't see the tail lamp.

As stated further up, the 115's that used to work over the met never had tripcocks. (nor the loco substitues) Basically, you were on your own! Quite how that went on until the end of 115 operation i dont know!

Archived