locomotion: Dan Snow's history of Railways.

birdseyecircus

Anyway I thought he wasn't calling himself an historian anymore...

His name - with the suffix (which he's still using - or at least, he was on the Roman thing he did before Christmas) is certainly a good way to make professional historians grind their teeth. For the most part his stuff is like watching an enthusiastic semi-prepared undergrad presenting in a seminar: at work I get paid for that. Still, it saves me the trouble of watching it. I will admit that he's rather more telegenic than I!

Adam

I am really torn about watching it  - I tried to watch the programme about the lost empire of Rome, and failed, I made through about an hour's worth then swmbo had had enough of me shouting at the TV. On the one hand, it's about railways, so I want to watch it, on the other hand it probably doesn't contain anything I haven't seen or heard before and it has Dan Snow in it. So I shall probably tape it (hard drive it? Digitise it?) and see what the comments on here say.

Got an email at work today promoting this. Guess I will wait and catch it on iplayler if reviews are good.

Right then - someone needs to volunteer to watch it on behalf of everyone and if they haven't gouged out their own eyes they can post a review for us.

bagsy it isn't me!!!

Actually, I've quite enjoyed watching his programmes in the past despite the fact that most BBC documentaries in recent years have been dumbed down to appeal to teenagers with a ten second attention span. I find science programmes are usually the worst with producers and cameramen apparently fresh out of art school and more interested in silly camera shots than the actual subject matter

Any idea of what it is called and when it will be on?

Hopefully it will be named along the catchy lines of "This isn't a pseudo-history program hosted by NoSnowHere about UK railways today". That may not have a ring to it but would appeal to posters on this thread!

From the Bournemouth Echo newspaper today's edition, some filming was done on the Swanage railway last July. "The first episode of Locomotion - dan Snow's history of railways airs on BBC2 at 9:00pm on January 15. The next two episode's are scheduled for 9:00pm on January 22 and 29"

Watched it. He appears to be concentrating on the social history side at the moment----------I Think!!!?????

No mention of Trevethick, No mention of the Rainhill trials, only a dark inside shot of part of Rocket.The only early loco really seen in action was the replica Locomotion.

The bog was and is Chat Moss, one of the biggest hurdles Civil Engineering wise on the Liverpool and Manchester.

I thought it was OK overall, pity they did not actually say locations of where it all began, the cutting which I beleive was one of the first in the world down to Crown Street is now a industrial world geomorphic site with listed status.

Ian

Disappointing, another missed opportunity I suspect.  Too much fluff and flannel, and repetitive graphics - typical Discovery channel format, take an hour to say what you could in 20 minutes.  And disjointed - one minute talking about the challenges of crossing Chat Moss, then it's off at a tangent to talk about navvies and I'm thinking 'what about Chat Moss then?' (I know the answer but where's it gone?).  Later on he comes back and just throws away a line about rubble, timber and reeds to float the trackbed across it.

The best bits were the animations based on contemporary illustrations, although I was expecting to see Ivor at one point.

I'll probably watch the rest but only out of 'completeness'. 

I've watched part of it. There is probably some good material there but I do find Dan Snow's presenter as action man hero style irritating. Five minutes of treating the Co. Durham countryside like an expedition to find the source of the Nile just to get to a good angle of the Sankey viaduct was very OTT. I've been there and it's not that hard. I understand the point he was making about wagonways being better than pack trails but it didn't need to be quite so laboured.

I'd really like to see a proper historian who's actually done some original research - at the awarding of a PhD level- giving us a new angle on the development of railways. Maybe a bit like Prof. Mary Beard is with the Romans. This programme felt like I could have written the script off the top of my head with just the the odd search on Wiki. or even The Boy's Bumper Book of Railways.

• RMweb Gold

Much the same opinion as David (Pacific 231G) and I was irritated by a very foreign sounding engine whistle as a sort of background noise just about anytime something that was or was meant to be a steam engine moved.  The graphics done on old prints were rather charming I thought, the little Rocket model that kept on making faded focus appearances definitely was not.

Archived