Brew Lane - going on a diet - An N gauge shunting puzzle on a Billy bookcase

Black Sheep

• RMweb Gold

For the classic Inglenook puzzle (8 wagons) you need enough space on the 'headshunt' for a loco and 3 wagons to avoid fouling the main line, unless you're using fewer wagons (5?). You'd still need enough space for a loco and 2 wagons.

From your latest post I guess you've already got much of the track you're hoping to use. Does the budget not stretch to a 3-way? :dontknow:

I'm not sure a 3 way would look right in the yard, also it causes the sidings to fan out in a way that I can't get to look right.

The track I don't have, is the points for the yard.

Given that my stock will be 1950's it's all short vans and wagons so I think, while it might be tight, 3 wagons will fit to get in and out of the back siding. (I have a full size plan in front of me and have lengthened the approach line slightly since printing.)

I will photograph my 57xx coupling conversion then.

Regarding the points I believe this is what you are looking for, although they are 009, the look should be perfect for a brewery and they are short.

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/peco-sle-491-right-hand-point-electro-frog-28386-0.html

I never use code 80 as its too train set like for me, plus code 55 is stronger as the rail is embedded in the pastic and I am a bit heavy handed! Code 55 also has consistent point geometry and a better range.

I'm using code 80 as the simplest way to achieve the curves at each end of the loop is with set track

I hadn't thought of using 009, I'll try that thanks.

If I did use code 55 track do I just need to put a bit of packing under the point to match it up to the code 80?

Yes.  The rail in Peco code 55 track is actually code 80, but is shaped to have a 55 thou apparent height, with the remaining 25thou of the rail embedded in the sleeper web.  The sleepers are a similar height, so you'll need to raise the code 55 track a bit to make up for it.  As Devondynosaur says, this makes the track a lot stronger, and helps keep curves in place (though makes it slightly harder to get the curves in in the first place).

Thanks,

having done a bit of 'research' (read: playing with turn out templates in anyrail) I have found a few things:

1) 2nd radius curves are available in code 55 and so the entire layout could have been completed using code 55 throughout. (I intend to use code 55 on any future layouts, especially ones with split baseboards)

2) the small code 55 turnout that I had used in the modified plan shares it's geometry with the 009 turnout, but also with the SL-395 / SL-396 which are the Code 80 medium turn outs.

As such, and given that lengths of flexi track and some turnouts (the ones for the loops) are already here waiting to be used, code 80 will be used with the code 80 medium turn outs used throughout (electrofrog for the brewery sidings)

I just need to acquire the remaining curves and the yard points.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Devondynosoar, feeling better now,

Didn't get the job unfortunately, not much progress on the layout other than having stained it to be a similar colour to the coffee table in which it lives.

I do however have a bedroom with carpet, furniture and a bed! I also have curtains up in the lounge.

Hope to have some track fitted in place sometime this coming week.

Well, we have a loop with passing loop that has just enough space for Deltic and two coaches (I know, I know, running a bit light)

post-10525-0-66935400-1360101021_thumb.jpg

The jinty did two laps round the loop, once through each passing loop (Deltic didn't want to play, needs cleaning) while pulling the coaches. 

Need some more plastic rail joiners as I've run out, then its onto the wiring followed by the MERGControl cables and levers etc 

I'm planning on assembling the track work for the brewery sidings and then positioning it with the access line as long as I can get it to aid shunting without getting stuck on the point since the layout is going to be boxed in with perspex to protect it from any little fingers that visit (A friend of ours has a 1yr old) 

not sure what I'm doing with the mergcontrol so a bit of trail and error to be done but worried about wasting components and if it'll work with the springs in the peco points. 

It's intended to be a small, suburban station as I don't have space for much more, so a longer passing loop would be redundant,

for some reason curved points didn't work when first tried, but the plan has since undergone revisions - at one point it was a double line station but platform on one side only with the intent that the second line give illusion of a twin line aided by bridges and tunnels but decided that would make the layout look like it had been built in the bottom of a quarry!

Lighting wise, I hadn't thought about lighting it at all, the room it is in is well lit, however some street lights might be nice but that would require building lights also.

I'm trying to keep to a tight budget, the station building is going to be stolen from Milliedale which will eventually receive a scratch built one at a later date.

I have two excuses for the Deltic being on a suburban single track line

running in turn

my railway, either enjoy it or go fetch me a pint. :D

Bit nervous on getting the mercontrol working, however it's just a system of cranks and pulleys so shouldn't be too hard.

debating if I should have the track firmly stuck in place before trying it, I'm thinking so.

bit worried about the strong springs in the peco points, but i know from milliedale that they don't work too well without them as it holds the blades firmly against the frog

If you join the stock rail and introduce an isolating gap DCC point style this removes the need for the switch rail to carry current. I would put an omega or zig zag loop in the linkage of the mercontrol to take up any snapping, there may well be one designed in anyway. How about some of the budget LED lights from IKEA as used by BCN Pete incorporated into the table top edge to provide down lighting? Then if the room lights are out or low you can still run. I put in a copper tape "lighting" bus on the base board so I could add lights later. This can run at 3v for LEDs using the power pack from cheap Xmas lights. Can do a how to if it helps.

While traveling home I snapped this photo of the brewery from the window of the train, hence it being a bit blurred.

post-10525-0-50774000-1360533595_thumb.jpg

Think this is the final layout of the buildings, the boiler house and chimney is behind with it's own coaling stage as coal will be brought in by rail.

Not sure how I feel about wagon turntables and running a line between the buildings as I think the turntables will look a bit squashed. Perhaps that ginnel between the buildings has a lorry in it loading?

I'm planning that most of the yard is cobbles and walled in. We'll see.

Archived