Locomotive Modelling from Scratch and Etched Kits - pt.1

Horsetan

Picked this up this afternoon, courtesy of Ian Allan at Waterloo.

This is the first of a double-helping of Geoff Holt's expertise in engine building and, in contrast to Peter Squibb's earlier work on scratchbuilding signals, the book seems to have been prepared with a lot more care. Nothing seems to be half-hearted; there are loads of diagrams as well as photos and, what is more, some very clear "how to" explanations. He concentrates on the contents of your workbench, and on the lower half of the engine.

For the first time since F.J. Roche's day, we also have a book which goes into depth about how to build inside motion (including inside Stephenson's) and how to make your (Walschaerts) valve gear really work. He even covers the making of Joy valve gear.

You get some very full chapters on how to use proper tools such as rolling mills - I certainly hope he will be as thorough in the next volume when he will be explaining how to mark out and form tapered boilers, and combustion chamber fireboxes amongst other things - and what to do when rescaling drawings.

Although advance billing has suggested that this is aimed at anyone modelling in 4mm up to 10mm scales, the overwhelming majority of the examples and photos in the book are of 7mm/ft scale models, reflecting Geoff Holt's own focus. Having said that, you are encouraged to adapt his methods for your own scale.

There is much to inspire you to get up and have a go at your own, encouraged by some peerless work on show, including a couple of Beeson-built engines. It's also sufficiently up-to-date in some areas, for example, to warn 7mm builders that Alan Harris wheels are no longer available due to the maker retiring due to poor health. It's certainly a warning that those who have provided us with those oh-so-useful components over the years are not going to be around for ever.

Negatives? Well, he does exercise his "get-out-of-jail-free" card by not touching Allan valve gear, or indeed outside Stephenson gear. Neither does he touch rotary cam or Caprotti.

If you're looking for lists of supplier contacts, you'll have to wait for Volume 2 and I'd expect most of those contacts to be for 7mm scale.

Also, if you're miserly by nature, then the price will make you think twice. At £24.99 for just the one (slim-looking; slimmer than the aforementioned Peter Squibb book from the same publisher) volume, we may end up paying that again (or more) once Part 2 is published. The cost of book printing and production have risen, and this is reflected in the cash you'll be handing over. But it really is worth it; this is a book you can read anywhere - in the toilet, if you must! - and I think the contents will really get under your skin and into your mind after a while. I find it just so readable to the point of being addictive.

However, what really gets me salivating is that we are promised a whole chapter in Volume 2 in the basic use of the lathe. This is a skill a good many of us shouldn't be afraid to take up.

Go on. Go out and buy a copy.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived