POINT DIRECTION SWITCH

Bala

• RMweb Premium

Bala: what type of switch machine/point motor are you using? If you use the motor type, you can use normal rotary switches. If you use the coil types, it requires a bit extra wiring.

Bala: what type of switch machine/point motor are you using? If you use the motor type, you can use normal rotary switches. If you use the coil types, it requires a bit extra wiring.

I am enquiring on behalf of a friend  - he is using Hornby points and motors.  Looking for a simple way to indicate which way the point is set on a control board.

Nothing too technical

Thank you

Hornby are solenoid based - so you need to apply power momentarily.  Most commonly used with solenoids are toggle switches that return to centre (off) automatically. 

However, the official Hornby solution would be a switch that is only in contact as its moved and then rests in the position to show the way the points are set.  they are pricey!  Other people make them too.  I gather you are less likely to need a CDU with them than toggle switches, at least from a protecting the solenoid from being cooked perspective.  So if you want the switch to show the point setting you want to look at things like an R044 Hornby switch (but there may be cheaper alternatives).

Alternative is some form of LED display on the panel that shows the way points are set... Is this DC?

• RMweb Gold

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66178-points-motors-how-to-do-it-what-do-i-need/?p=907755 for a very simple circuit which will work off of a simple changeover switch, no need for passing contact switches or anything difficult, and will cost you about £2.50 per point motor in components including the switch.  A LOT cheaper than the SPC options if you do manage to find their website. (Personally I wouldn't bother looking, its much more satisfying to do it yourself!)

I'm going with Martin's circuit here rather than mine later in the topic as Martin's is more suitable to the Hornby point motors that only have three wires.

Suitable switch here http://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/1ms1t1b5m1qe/switch-spdt-on-on/dp/SW02839 @ 74p each, prices lower in multiples

Capacitor here http://cpc.farnell.com/panasonic/eeufc1e472/capacitor-4700uf-25v/dp/CA05160 @£1.87 each, prices lower in multiples

Andi

• RMweb Premium

A cheap way to do it but taking a bit more space is a rotary switch to connect to the solenoids and a push button in series with it to send the current. Will give misleading indication if the push button in not pushed.

Hi Bala

I understand that the link that I left have been stop on this forum from being used but the address is the correct one but you will need to put it in yourself to go there.

As for the comments on here is my reply that I left on a another post.

Hi Ron Solly & Dagworth

I have look at all the reply’s and criticism to my posting and all of your suggestions for the circuit that can be used in one form or another and all have their place in the railway modelling world, there’s a lot of modellers that no how to wire up a layout and panel  if that’s watt they wont to do it’s there proactive to do so  and how much they want to spend on their layout, theirs also modellers that do not understand the electrics needed  to operate there layout This is how I have done mine and have found that it work better for me than the way I did it before and that is all that I was trying to relay in my post. As for your explanation of the transformers  power that you will need to operate the system you are way out on the calculations all I will say keep experimenting as I don’t as it’s all done for me and it works without any messing about. As a modeller I have my opinion and you have yours and I respect that.

Sid

Archived