Leaving poster identification out of quoted text

• RMweb Gold

I have a feeling that the above code is being inserted in the source via Ajax or similar, after loading. Which would explain why you are not seeing it if you have scripting turned off.

Hi Kenton,

That's confirmed. If I turn javascript off, the code is not included in the source, and I do not see the quote identifiers. (Firefox 18).

That's why you are not seeing them. It probably explains your other problems too. Since this site is clearly designed to work with javascript, it's a bit unreasonable to expect it to work without. I know sites can be made to work without scripting, but it's not actually written down as a law. 99% of home users (the target audience for a hobby site) don't turn javascript off, so it's asking a lot to expect an entire site to be rewritten for those few who do. IPS don't make any such claim on the tin.

regards,

Martin.

I accept that turning javascript off does mean some of the more peculiar additions such as the pop-ups and float-overs may not work.

What I do not accept is the need to b*gger up code that works perfectly well one minute and then doesn't the next - simply because the programmer think he will tinker with it.

I accept that the buttons in the full editor do not work for me - that's fine I can use BBCode for what I need. But it does not explain why there are obvious;y two different (>2 if you count the PM Editors) translators. It also doesn't answer what to me is even more serious - the fact I can enter html and possibly other code.

I sill do not accept it is an Ajax trick, and cannot see how having javascript off affects the email notifications.

Archived