Heljan Original Baby Deltics

silverlink

Received D5901 from Hattons - looks lovely, but makes horrible grinding noise at one end when power is applied, and hardly moves. Looks like my model is emulating the reliability of the prototype! Also, one sandbox was detached. Sadly Hattons don't have any more in stock, so I'll have to wait for a replacement - hopefully not until after the hiatus caused by the Chinese New Year.

• RMweb Premium

Received D5901 from Hattons - looks lovely, but makes horrible grinding noise at one end when power is applied, and hardly moves. Looks like my model is emulating the reliability of the prototype! Also, one sandbox was detached. Sadly Hattons don't have any more in stock, so I'll have to wait for a replacement - hopefully not until after the hiatus caused by the Chinese New Year.

Sorry to hear that, how disappointing for you.  No word from Hattons on my order for D5901 yet, and when I looked earlier today, all the versions were still shown as 'pre order' on their web site!

Sorry to hear that, how disappointing for you.  No word from Hattons on my order for D5901 yet, and when I looked earlier today, all the versions were still shown as 'pre order' on their web site!

I called them about my other three (D5901/5/9) and was told that they weren't in stock yet. I bought the ones I wanted from the local model shop and cancelled the order.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe they haven't fully unpacked their shipment yet as all versions are available as I have now seen them all 'in the flesh'.

I wondered that too, but on return from work this afternoon I find an e-mail from Hatton's to tell me 'Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Wednesday 5th February 2014' (although I see they are now listed on the 'New Releases' page of their web site).

I called them about my other three (D5901/5/9) and was told that they weren't in stock yet. I bought the ones I wanted from the local model shop and cancelled the order.

I usually do support my local model shop, and find their prices for locos are often quite competitive with the likes of Hatton's, Rails et al when you take account of the saving in postage charges, but not in this instance as they are not Heljan stockists.  I could really do with more than one of these locos however and may see if I can pick up another at Doncaster at the weekend.

My two arrived this morning from Rails (good service) and after a short run on rolling road decided to fit decoders. Getting body off is a little difficult but after pulling one of the fuel tanks off decided a new approach was needed. looking at how the body is held in place I found two lugs on each side of the body which holds it all very firmly. I decided to cut four thin pieces of plasticard and after easing the body out away from each lug I pushed a piece of plasticard between body and lug so it couldn't re-engage. Once all four were in place it was a simple pull up and away from the body. The eight pin socket as seems to be the norm with Heljan had no marking for pin one so after a quick visit to Bromsgrove models website I found pin one is next to the lettering NMRA. I then fitted a Lenz Standard + decoder followed by a visit to my programming track for interrogation where everything was found to be in order. Body replacement is straightforward making sure it is pushed over the chassis evenly, and there we have it just a bit of running in and fitting disc or blank headcode panels

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I wondered that too, but on return from work this afternoon I find an e-mail from Hatton's to tell me 'Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Wednesday 5th February 2014' (although I see they are now listed on the 'New Releases' page of their web site).

It seems I spoke too soon, and did the good people at Hatton's a disservice - on checking my e-mails again, I find I was sent one at 1821 this evening telling me my order has been packed! :danced:

Received mine this evening, superb looking model and seems mechanically ok from a quick spin up my bit of test track. I notice partially glued frost grilles are endemic to the breed - one of mine isn't stuck down at the bottom so I've applied some canopy glue and stuck it down while it sets with Kabuki tape. Much better looking than the "rebuilt" one, but then again that's true of the prototype.

• RMweb Premium

Received mine this evening, superb looking model and seems mechanically ok from a quick spin up my bit of test track. I notice partially glued frost grilles are endemic to the breed - one of mine isn't stuck down at the bottom so I've applied some canopy glue and stuck it down while it sets with Kabuki tape. Much better looking than the "rebuilt" one, but then again that's true of the prototype.

The frost grilles as seen on online photos look a bit hastily glued down. Are there evidences of smearing or uneven finish around the edges of your example?

The frost grilles as seen on online photos look a bit hastily glued down. Are there evidences of smearing or uneven finish around the edges of your example?

No glue "blooms" on mine, just a lack of glue on one side :jester: I use canopy  glue as it doesn't fog like cyano and any excess usually rubs off without touching paint.

• RMweb Premium

No glue "blooms" on mine, just a lack of glue on one side :jester: I use canopy glue as it doesn't fog like cyano and any excess usually rubs off without touching paint.

Many thanks, purchased mine today.

Very pleased! No loose frost grilles on mine.

For the level of detail factory fitted, as well as the sheer haulage power, the Heljan Baby Deltic is a winner for me.

>Now to gently tease away one end of buffer beam detailing to fit NEM couplers...

Oh the irony!

And there's the end of my virtual modelling, first the class 105, then the  L1, then this little disaster on wheels. Who'd a thunk it?

Does feel like it may be the new UK OO RTR BoBo haulage champion too, silent progress and able to do a 2mph crawl on resistance controller DC straight from the box. Cannot take all this performance, from what should be a crock were the prototype faithfully reproduced. Nice one Heljan, well worth the wait.

Much happier now, a little test running has revealed defects in the form of 'falls off the bogies' detail parts. 3 brake actuator cylinders and a front cross member off each bogie so far. Found around the test run and can all be glued back on after decoder fit and test. Runs and pulls beautifully, so all is forgiven.

With the body off, one cab interior fell out, and lo! a nicely detailed control desk layout is revealed. Is it anything like the real thing - someone who has been in cab will have to comment. I imagine the horizontal row of circles will have been status lights, left to right: ready to fail, about to fail, failing fast, sounding sick, phtang! ;-)

Replacement D5901 arrived from Hattons - ran beautifully until it came to a curve, then the horrible grinding noise of slipping gears started - in one direction only. So that one is going back to Hattons, too. Heljan are taking the realism a bit far. I'm half expecting that the second replacement will come back refurbished, with a 4 digit headcode panel.

Archived