Heljan Original Baby Deltics

silverlink

Shame about the running on yours because the now run in example I have - which started out very sweet as received - has to be one of the nicest chassis I have ever encountered. Persist until you get a good un; the design has the potential to run extremely well.

Are there working lights on this again? Or do we have to struggle to remove them and risk breaking the small detail again?

Working lights on the original version, neatly executed, central LEDs and light pipes with the exterior 'lenses' moulded in. Very controllable down to 'invisible unless completely dark' which is how I have them set.

• RMweb Premium

D5901 made it from Liverpool to Yorkshire today, thanks to Hatton's.  All seems OK mechanically so far, and cosmetically one of the sets of cab steps was loose, but luckily still within the packaging and easily refixed.  I may consider replacing the BR crest with a Methfix one; otherwise well pleased!

post-31-0-02231100-1391722780.jpg

post-31-0-28411600-1391722801.jpg

Some light weathering called for in due course, and sadly quite a bit of the brake hoses etc. will need to be cropped to fit auto couplings before she can go into service.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to take this thread off topic - but can we see more of your layout, please, 31A? Certainly piqued my interest with the retaining walls and the lovely weathered L1 and rolling stock behind the Baby Deltic.

Hi Simon, thanks for those kind comments.  To be honest the layout isn't very big, and other bits are less presentable than what you can see here.  However I do take photos of a lot of the models I make (or otherwise work on) as I find they're a good way of detecting deficiencies, so perhaps some sort of 'gallery' type thread might be of interest - I'll give it some thought.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon, thanks for those kind comments.  To be honest the layout isn't very big, and other bits are less presentable than what you can see here.  However I do take photos of a lot of the models I make (or otherwise work on) as I find they're a good way of detecting deficiencies, so perhaps some sort of 'gallery' type thread might be of interest - I'll give it some thought.

Please do - it looks really good to me!

Have now received the third example of D5901, as the previous two didn't work. This one runs very smoothly, and looks great - full marks to Hattons, for supplying replacement(s) so swiftly. Can't wait for the pilot scheme BRCW Type 2 from Heljan, and then there's the Class 21 from Dapol....

If Heljan supposedly broke the late style hull to make the early one, we should see the same errors repeated here.

Does anyone own both to compare window heights and things.

I have the first run one, and my memories of sending it back 6 timed before getting a complete model then discovering I needed to replace a head code diode rather spoilt the good quality impression I had of Heljan until then. I don,t fancy a second episode unless it really is a different model.

Why bother comparing model to model? Always compare to the prototype - has to be photographs and drawings in this case, with the usual reservations in respect of the latter - and ask how well it represents it.

Personally I am well convinced, the largest error I perceive is in the paintwork: the red should wrap around the sides a little further and terminate so that the cream band is constant depth along the side. The windscreen wipers are too long as well, they would park horizontal without running off the outside edges of the screens. It appears to be well proportioned in terms of sizes and distributions of windows, grilles and other features along a correctly dimensioned overall length and height. It is a good millimetre over width: scales at 9'3" rather than the the quoted 8'10.75, but I don't actually see that when looking at the model. (The body shell scales correctly for width off the chassis, so must be correctable for any to whom it matters.) Everything  - except the noise it doesn't make - screams original Baby Deltic to me, but as ever YMMV.

Could truly fancy sound on this little maniac, especially as the key elements of the output are definite tweeter territory which is the only speaker type  you can fit into an OO model. Might only play it once a year, but fun to let it rip every now and again.

If Heljan supposedly broke the late style hull to make the early one, we should see the same errors repeated here.

Does anyone own both to compare window heights and things.

I have the first run one, and my memories of sending it back 6 timed before getting a complete model then discovering I needed to replace a head code diode rather spoilt the good quality impression I had of Heljan until then. I don,t fancy a second episode unless it really is a different model.

Its a completely new body with new tooling.

34 theletterbetweenB&D said:

"Could truly fancy sound on this little maniac, especially as the key elements of the output are definite tweeter territory which is the only speaker type  you can fit into an OO model. Might only play it once a year, but fun to let it rip every now and again."

Quite agree, thinking the same about a sound chip for my refurbished baby deltic. Hopefully there will be some totally authentic sound files available when this project   www.thebabydelticproject.co.uk

has their loco running, which in itself is worth waiting for!.

• RMweb Premium

I had a good look at my mates one last night at our club. It is a lot better than the earlier model of the later version. The radius of the top of the nose under the windscreen still looks very wrong, it should be shallower.

Quite tempted to buy one and file off the nose door and a set of the lights. Bung on a headcode panel, some yellow and Sherwood green paint.

34 theletterbetweenB&D said:

"Could truly fancy sound on this little maniac, especially as the key elements of the output are definite tweeter territory which is the only speaker type  you can fit into an OO model. Might only play it once a year, but fun to let it rip every now and again."

Quite agree, thinking the same about a sound chip for my refurbished baby deltic. Hopefully there will be some totally authentic sound files available when this project   www.thebabydelticproject.co.uk

has their loco running, which in itself is worth waiting for!.

The sound will be pretty authentic in so far as its a T9-29 engine, but the difference in the way the auxiliaries are powered on a class 37, compared to an original Baby Deltic means you won't get the wirring sound of the shaft driven fans and blowers which accompanied a class 23.

The sound will be pretty authentic in so far as its a T9-29 engine, but the difference in the way the auxiliaries are powered on a class 37, compared to an original Baby Deltic means you won't get the wirring sound of the shaft driven fans and blowers which accompanied a class 23.

Damn.  Have to make the model look like the "cut-and-shut 37 to 23" one then. (or should I start with a 37 body and shorten it a bit?) :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Actually very impressed with what the baby deltic project are doing. They've published a very interesting book "Baby Deltic the story of an engine's rebirth"  which is about the restoration of the T9-29 engine itself. It can be bought from their web site.

Oh, and I've got one of their mugs as well.

cheers

Bill

Damn.  Have to make the model look like the "cut-and-shut 37 to 23" one then. (or should I start with a 37 body and shorten it a bit?) :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Actually very impressed with what the baby deltic project are doing. They've published a very interesting book "Baby Deltic the story of an engine's rebirth"  which is about the restoration of the T9-29 engine itself. It can be bought from their web site.

Oh, and I've got one of their mugs as well.

cheers

Bill

I've got the book. If you want to hear a true recording of an original baby deltic, get the CD 'Diesels Through The Decades'. There's a recording of D5909 moving round the yard at Hitchin in 1959.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diesels-Through-Decades-Cinerail-Transacord/dp/B00AKXNE8C

I've got the book. If you want to hear a true recording of an original baby deltic, get the CD 'Diesels Through The Decades'. There's a recording of D5909 moving round the yard at Hitchin in 1959.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diesels-Through-Decades-Cinerail-Transacord/dp/B00AKXNE8C

Thanks for the info on the cd,, Baby Deltic. I've now ordered it!  Peter Handford recording according to blurb, so should be good ( I've got various steam recordings by him bought years ago which have been good). Some other rare locos as well on there so will be an excellent listening session when it arrives.

Thanks for the info on the cd,, Baby Deltic. I've now ordered it!  Peter Handford recording according to blurb, so should be good ( I've got various steam recordings by him bought years ago which have been good). Some other rare locos as well on there so will be an excellent listening session when it arrives.

His recordings are good, and they're in stereo too. The baby deltic recording does have a lot of wheel squeal but the sound is good.

It's an excellent CD! 10000/1 , Clayton, and lots of other good rare stuff. I listen to it in the car sometimes, but as a Driving Instructor, need to remember to turn it off before a bewildered pupil gets in  :)

I listen to it in the car too, occasionally. I like the class 24 at Woodbridge.

I listen to it in the car too, occasionally. I like the class 24 at Woodbridge.

Amazon have shipped my cd!  That was quick, should be here soon.

Following your useful comment about class 23 auxiliary equipment being driven differently from those on a class 37, I looked up some references about this and apparently there was a drive from the free end of the engine to a gearbox that then drove the westinghouse brake compressor  and also a traction motor blower, with another shaft to the radiator fan in the roof. The second traction motor blower was driven from a shaft off the end of the auxillary generator.  All this thrashing around must have added to the noise of a high speed engine with 3 gear connected crankshafts. 

Waiting in anticipation to hear the cd track...

Amazon have shipped my cd!  That was quick, should be here soon.

Following your useful comment about class 23 auxiliary equipment being driven differently from those on a class 37, I looked up some references about this and apparently there was a drive from the free end of the engine to a gearbox that then drove the westinghouse brake compressor  and also a traction motor blower, with another shaft to the radiator fan in the roof. The second traction motor blower was driven from a shaft off the end of the auxillary generator.  All this thrashing around must have added to the noise of a high speed engine with 3 gear connected crankshafts. 

Waiting in anticipation to hear the cd track...

Plenty of whirring and clunking.

Especially when one of said shafts snapped! They were originally designed too slim, and whirled (flexed into a curve) under centrifugal force.

The Nim.

Having taken delivery of D5900 its clear that Heljans reworking from the first refurbed batch is a massive

improvement. Apart from the slightly scabby looking BR transfer the paint finish is really excellent. Seems Heljan have

rather belatedly discovered that reworking can be worthwhile (ie profitable). Interesting that the class 33 is next.....

any bets on the class 52 after that?

Listening to the cd diesels through the decades as recommended by baby Deltic and Tim Hall. Fantastic! It would be worth getting just for the unique sounds of  5909 reving up as it trundles up and down a siding at Hitchin in 1959. But as already said, so much more including 10203, 10000/10001, Blue pullman,  double headed claytons, loads of deltics, westerns, hymeks.

Thanks again for the heads up (see post 66). 

ps I haven't played it in the car -yet.

pps This has inspired an outbreak of baby deltic running in the loft tonight.

Archived