Milk Tank Details

jjnewitt

Hi Justin,

Just to say I find this topic very interesting especially the amount of info you have manage to unearth, I tried as you know to find some info about the dia 042 and still managed to get that wrong !!

Being that I'm one of the 7mm brigade you may or may not of come across a thread that gets aired from time on the 7mm part of the forum, see here : - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49795-slaters-6-wheeled-milk-tank-wagons/   there are quite a lot of us that share an interest in milk tankers like yourself, so maybe once you have sorted out the etches for yourself it might be feasible to have them scaled up :paint: .

With Steve's interest in certain diagrams, would the 7mm Slaters milk tanks be a good starting point, as the chassis/running gear  is fairly " standard " and covers quite a few diagrams " I think " ? 

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Good idea Martyn. If Justin could offer detail kits for the Slaters (and maybe POW Sides) kits that could cover most eventualities. I'd absolutely love a full brass kit or even a whitemetal underframe kit but this is a good compromise.

Good stuff Justin, keep it up - then scale it up!

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Martyn,

I'd missed that thread on the Slater's milk tanks. I don't browse that particular part of RMweb very often. There's a couple of interesting links in there as well.

Having looked at the Slater's kit I can see no reason why the same thing as I'm doing for the David Geen kit couldn't be done for them. Essentially the 3000 gallon tank range is the same, GWR O.38 and LMS 1994.  As you say the chassis/ running gear is very similar for most of them. Taking the GWR range of milk tanks the underframe was the same for all the 20'6" vehicles with the only change being the switch from Dean Churchward to Morton brakes. My intention for the 4mm stuff is to do a detailing etch for the lever brakes/lifting links and then most of the diagrams from O.51 to O.65 can also be built. The arrangement of tank fittings, walkways and platforms were all different of course but there are drawings that show these (The GWR weight diagrams for all the milk tanks are avaliable from the OPC microfilm collection at the NRM, all the details are shown on them). If the GWR twin tank wagon has the correct 21'6" chassis then the other types could be constructed from that. It would be fairly easy to modify the LMS kit to a 2173 by changing the underframe slightly. The underframes for these looked like this:post-13847-0-02676700-1359027861_thumb.jpg

Once I start getting the bits back I'll start a thread detailing some of the 4mm conversions which might give you a few ideas.

Justin

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Hi There,

Great information on here.

Could anyone direct me to a listed of diagrams and their wagon numbers for GWR/ Ex GWR diagrams?

In particular I'm looking for the range on numbers for Diagram 051

Steve

3 hours ago, 2mmKiwi said:

Could anyone direct me to a listed of diagrams and their wagon numbers for GWR/ Ex GWR diagrams?

In particular I'm looking for the range on numbers for Diagram 051

The following list should give you what you need.

http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Downloads-Milk-Tank-Diagrams.pdf

It needs updating as I've subsequently filled in some of the gaps and the prototype information at the beginning isn't quite right but the information for the O.51s is correct.

Justin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Justin,

Thanks for responding to my request and the information provided -  that is really helpful.

I'm building a 2mm fine scale model of St Erth railway station that features the creamery there. At the time of modelling 1957, I believe that it was a United Dairies operation.

Steve

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2019 at 18:42, 2mmKiwi said:

I'm building a 2mm fine scale model of St Erth railway station that features the creamery there. At the time of modelling 1957, I believe that it was a United Dairies operation.

You are correct. I don't have an exact date for when UD acquired the Primrose Diary at St Erth but it was definitely prior to the merger with Cow & Gate in 1959.

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

You are correct. I don't have an exact date for when UD acquired the Primrose Diary at St Erth but it was definitely prior to the merger with Cow & Gate in 1959.

Hi K, 

Thanks for the confirmation.

Do you have any other information on the dairy at St Erth?

I will be building a partial model of it for my layout.

Steve

4 hours ago, 2mmKiwi said:

Thanks for the confirmation.

Do you have any other information on the dairy at St Erth?

I will be building a partial model of it for my layout.

I have a few snippets. It was quite an interesting building as it was originally a china clay dries that was taken over and converted into a dairy. This super shot below from the GWR period shows that the main building is still clearly recognisable as a linhay. The dairy got its water supply from the pipe that had originally brought in china clay slurry from the clay pit near Nancledra.

y1-primrose-dairies-st-erth-2-andy-richa

By the time is closed circa 1980, the creamery had grown considerably and received several additions so that is scarcely resembled its original form.

y2-st-ivel-st-erth-circa-1982-andy-richa

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, Karhedron said:

There is also a track plan of St Erth which might be useful.

StErth5.jpg.c1e1db4642f9a7c6e18c8cd032f5b10d.jpg

Thanks for your help.  The photos are very useful indeed.

Do you know how I could get my hands on any building drawings for the dairy company ?

I don't know if they keep any, but they would help a great deal. Otherwise I will just have to use the overhead photos and the tankers as references for dimensions. I'm confident I can get a reasonable representation this way, if all else fails.

Steve

I don't know of anywhere with drawings of St Erth. But since it was a converted clay dries, you could start with drawings of one of those to provide typical dimensions. The following thread is a useful starting place.

• 3 years later...
On 12/01/2013 at 17:24, jjnewitt said:

Does anyone know which Dairies were assocaited with diagrams O.61 and O.63?

Yes, the Diagram O61 tanks were built for CWS and numbered 3196-3205.

The Diagram O63 tanks were built for Nestle (3154-58) and Cow & Gate (3159-65)

On 15/01/2013 at 23:03, jjnewitt said:

I haven't got a clue what the difference between the O.57s and O.60s was but it could have been as little as an inch difference in tank lengths. One size fits all did not apply to milk tanks!!

They were very similar and both diagrams were built exclusively for United Dairies. I think the O57s had traditional GWR-style split axle boxes whereas the O60s had roller bearings but I am not 100% certain if that is all.

16 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Yes, the Diagram O61 tanks were built for CWS and numbered 3196-3205.

The Diagram O63 tanks were built for Nestle (3154-58) and Cow & Gate (3159-65)

They were very similar and both diagrams were built exclusively for United Dairies. I think the O57s had traditional GWR-style split axle boxes whereas the O60s had roller bearings but I am not 100% certain if that is all.

Found all this out long ago. See:

https://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Downloads-Milk-Tank-Diagrams.pdf

The difference between the O.57 and O.60 milk tanks was 5/8" in overall height. The O.57s were 11' 11 5/8" and the O.60 11'11". These dimensions have come from the official diagrams. This difference in height would have required a different diagram. Given the manholes, tanks and underframes were the same the difference must have lay in the saddles. 

All milk tanks were fitted with oil axlboxes when new, including the O.60s. They didn't start getting roller bearings until the 60s. 

Justin

• Like 1