If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Cambrian comeback

alanbuttler

Hello all! 

I'm another chap returning to modelling after a lengthy break, in my case 22 years.  Originally from Midland Railway country, my parents moved to Mid Wales in the early 80's and I fell in love with the Cambrian.  

I've learned more in 3 weeks of reading posts on this website than I had ever before, so just want to say thank you to everyone that contributes so much of their time to the great articles on this site.   Reading them has given me the inspiration to get involved again.  A lot's happened in 20 years, looks like I've got some catching up to do... DCC... what the...? :)

I'm short on space so initial plans will be around diorama's and micro layouts.  Short term will be something simple to try out some of the scenery techniques I've read about on here, re-familiarise myself with a soldering iron.  Longer term will be a micro layout of Machynlleth during the late 50's, featuring the infamous Rock!

All the best

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan

I don't think I need to tell you how good this site is, as you've clearly found out already.

Enjoy your time here, and here's a coupld of don'ts:

Don't let RMWeb get in the way of serious modelling - it can and will.

Don't let a certain RMWebber called Boris try to blag any e-beers (or even real beers) from you.

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan and welcome,

Now that you are a member, Status Updates and Wheeltappers can now take up even more of your time!

Enjoy the site.

Kev.

Getting my hands on AnyRail last week, I've may have been a little guilty of running before walking!  It's been a good taster though to see what I can do with the space I've got (about 6ft x 16in max).  

Firstly I need to create a small trial & error test layout to get my hand back in, but longer term I'm planning on modelling the western end of the loco yard at Machynlleth, designed from old photos and E.T. Lyons Survey of GWR Engine Sheds 1948. The layouts inspired by an archive post I saw of Ardley Bridge Shed by Pete Piszczek in the same size space.

Here's what I've come up with so far, still needs some tweaking though.

Planning - Full Layout

Planning - 'The Rock' Siding

Planning - view westwards from the loco shed

• 2 weeks later...

Archived