Going large

Crankpins

warren sheppard makes a very good kit (54xx), Scorpio also make a kit(57xx/87xx) although of a lesser quality and thus price. If money is not an issue Just like the real thing kits may be an option.

Warren sheppard and JLTRT have websites eaily found, scorpio arent in the 21st century as yet. Personally i would build the warren sheppard kit.

Hi'

I have built both versions of the JLTRT pannier. The 57xx is mostly etched with a cast one piece resin boiler and tanks.The 8750 version has etched frames and footplate but cab & bunker is also cast in resin.  The frames are common to both versions and come complete with sprung hornguides in lost wax brass but can be built rigid if prefered. There are loads of lost wax brass and whitemetal castings for the final detailing and it looks like they cover every version with welded or riveted tanks as an option.  I don't have personal experience of the Scorpio kit but I found no problems with the JLTRT one. This is my version of the 57xx before it got its numbers and weathering.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

post-6089-0-99918900-1358282834.jpg

Hi Ian,

I have also built a JLTRT 57XX, and the only reason I would not recommend this kit for a relative beginner is the construction of the bunker ( a bit fiddly ).

I have only just found out that ABS have the Vulcan/Underhill pannier back on the market, and this makes up into a great model and is a fairly easy kit to build in my opinion.

Hope this is of some help.

ATB,

Martyn.

My experience is limited as is my wallet!

This would be my first venture into O gauge.  

Cheers,  Nick.  

With a limited wallet the Scorpio kit is by far the cheaper and nowhere near as bad as it has been made out to be above. Sure, Scorpio white metal castings are not the top of the tree when it comes to finesse but they are not that bad. I like the Scorpio kits and personally don't like mixed media (ie resin and metal) kits. But as a first venture into O gauge I don't think any of them are really suitable.

For a first kit I would always recommend a wagon, something like the GW Dia N20 also from Scorpio at only £25 + wheels is an excellent introduction to both the scale and kit building. You will then be able to make your own mind up on the castings quality and also have an excellent wagon to sit behind any loco.

Other good starter kits are the Y7 and G5 from Connoisseur (though of course not GWR !).

Hi Martyn,

I agree that the bunker is a bit fiddly to construct with its combination of etchings and the cast brass corners but I expect that all the other etched kits are similar.  For the beginner the 8750 version would be simpler as the bunker is a one piece resin moulding.

Ian.

The GWR bunker is not at all easy for the inexperienced modeller. (Of course, if you are an experienced solderer, then you should have little trouble).

I have built panniers from all the above mentioned manufacturers. Scorpio are good in that they go together very well. Excellent detail including dummy inside valve gear. I agree the castings could be better but with a bit of work are seviceable. But having said that, I think a beginner would find it a bit daunting and not just for the bunker.

It may not be of interest but CRT do a lovely 1361 class 0-6-0 ST. It has resin s/box, saddle tank/boiler and very easy to build cab/bunker in etched brass. I think a nice one for a beginner.

Also Agenoria do a number of lovely relatively easy to build absorbed GWR locos, without the typical GWR style bunker, therefore making things much easier but are mainly £200+

Im pretty certain CRT dont sell the kits any more only as RTR.  If the scorpio castings are a bit iffy you could always swap them out for Warren shepherd items.  Saftey valve bonnets, chimneys, whistles etc

Why on earth buy one kit from supplier A and then replace with parts from supplier B? Surely the cost, hassle would suggest buying the kit from supplier B in the first place.

Also the OP is a relative beginner, telling him that one manufacturers kit is 75% ok but you need other bits fom someone else is hardly encouraging people into the hobby, just makes it look like a whole load of hassle.

As for the ABS (or whatever ex suppplier)pannier being available, i never know if this supplier has stock or not, its one of those that needs to be dragged into the 21st century and have a web prenence, i wonder how much business is lost beacuse of that.

The waters lovely but plain sailing it wouldnt have been. :(

What ever the problem is, it certainly is not your modelling skills :good_mini: .

Think of all those beautiful 7mm coaches, clickerty-click,clickerty-click  :locomotive: .

Martyn.

Archived