Benefits of joining the Gauge O Guild?

cromptonnut

In my case Coachmann, any garden would be a bonus as I'm in an upstairs flat, so unless I can do a shunting plank in a windowbox then I don't have that option!

I have heard of funnier things growing in upstairs flat windowboxes....And they usually go up in smoke....

I too am a 'young' ahem! 40 something, a diesel modeller and in 7mm.

It seems we are not such a minority any more, perhaps it is time we stood up and got counted. After all, we are the future of our hobby? 

I am about to join the guild, and hope that many others do so, lf nothing else, just to prove that everything 7mm isn't third rail and circa 1940s (not that there's anything wrong with that, I also build steamies! )

Regards

The best reason for joining the GOG dropped thru my letter box yesterdat morning; not only is the Gazette an excellent magazine in its own right, it always feel like drawing back the net curtains onto a world of "things" you just dont know are out there without the GOG and its Gazette :)

... even if, currently, "post steam" is still in the minority :)

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

My apologies regarding my fallible memory, but I promised to provide details of our SEGOG meetings, which may interest cromptonnut, mopar, greenglade, chris_n amongst others.  These are on the third Monday of every month, in the hall of Bromley Common Methodist Church, Bloomfield Road, Bromley, BR2 9RZ, from 8pm to 10pm.  As Bloomfield Road is one way, if you are approaching along Bromley Common, turn into Addison Road (the other side of the garage).  We enter directly into the hall because the church entrance is probably locked.  You are welcome to find me today, or at our next meeting on 15 April.

If you are coming by public transport, the following buses from Bromley South go to the Southlands Road stop, then we are 100 yards further along Bromley Common - 61, 208, 261, 320.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Well so far I seem to be enjoying myself.

It's true to say that what others have said about it being a bit 'steam orientated' but the gazette and the forums, by their very nature, can only contain what the membership put.

Clearly as time goes on, the membership will change - it has to - as older members die and younger members like myself whose interests are more "modern" come on the scene and start talking about more modern things on the forums, and submit articles to the gazette.

There is the old saying "if you aren't part of the solution then you're part of the problem", and where I have made a number of suggestions on ways that things could be changed or improved, the majority of them where I have the expertise I've offered my services to help, and a few of those suggestions are being taken forward and others I'm actively involved in the work required to make it happen.

The Guild is, of course, all run by volunteers and capacity is therefore limited, although they all seem to be doing a fairly good job in their respective corners.

Unfortunately I can't get to the northern show (new venue, by the way - Cleckheaton) and I can't do Telford as we're on holiday at the other end of the country that week however I do plan to head to Bristol and Reading (although both not official Guild shows) and if possible Kettering as well.

I won't go as far as saying that joining up is the best decision I ever made (my wife may have something to say about that, for a start...) but it's certainly encouraging and between this section on RMWeb and the Guild forums I'm finding myself feeling a lot more confident about where I'm heading with 7mm (after the move, of course).

I am hoping to try and link up with the South Coast area group from time to time - although 40 miles away they are much closer to me it appears than the alternatives - and hope that I can get out of the habit of being a 'lone modeller' which I have been for so many years, which I accept has limited my ability to grow.

Guest Isambarduk

Pleased to read your fair and positive assessment of joining the Gauge 0 Guild.  I am sure you'll make a great contribution there.  David

• RMweb Gold

When I was editor Pat Pearce did an article on one of those SR electric things ( Pullman class 73) where he had working idicators back and front. Might be the sort of thing to interest you. If you search the Archive with his name as Author you should find it.

Don

Although steam definitely "rules the roost" in the Guild, there is of course an increasing number of 7mm modern image modellers, partly helped by the rtr Heljan range of course.  Layouts like Peter Clarke's "Leavesden" as recently featured in the modelling press are excellent showcases for just what can be done if you have the time, space and money (which is of course quite true in any scale).

It's worth noting that, until recently, if you wanted to work in 7 mm, you pretty much had to build kits or scratchbuild unless you were working to fairly coarse standards and so could get away with Triang, Lima or vintage tinplate.  Based on observation of magazine articles and a very small amount of personal experience, it is easier to build a convincing kettle than a decent representation of even the simplest of diesel classes.  I'm now confident that I can build an acceptable model of a simple steam locomotive, starting from a reasonable kit, but I look at even well designed and produced diesel kits and still feel rather intimidated.

So maybe the predominance of steam in 7 mm isn't just about the taste of most 0 gaugers but also has something to do with technical ability, whether perceived or real.

I suppose its a bit of a chicken/egg situation, if there aren't 7mm diesel modellers the kits aren't going to be there to make, and if the kits aren't selling then people aren't going to make any more, and therefore you don't see many modern 7mm layouts.

Clearly with the likes of Heljan's rtr 7mm diesels, and the Dapol 08 "coming soon", much of the 'hard work' is already done and all you need to do Is put some numbers on and you're away.

There is still a lack of rtr modern stock but again with Dapol and Heljan's wagons "coming soon" that should go a long way towards things, and with the excellent range of kits for other stock out there freight modellers are well catered for.

Now if someone like Dapol could come up with a decent, sub £200 Mk 1 coach (I understand the Heljan one has a number of errors on it) we'd be well away.

Now if someone like Dapol could come up with a decent, sub £200 Mk 1 coach (I understand the Heljan one has a number of errors on it) we'd be well away.

The Heljan one may have errors in it but I can state with confidence that none of the 12" to the foot Mk1s I've ridden in were too flash either ;).

Archived