RMweb

S7 display track.

Hello All.

I've decided to build a 3ft piece of display track in Scale 7. I want to try 7mm scale to achieve better detail in models and that is to include the correct gauge, hence S7.

post-1855-0-77448900-1358288697_thumb.jpg

This is a C&L 3 bolt chair that I have cut the key out of to represent an empty chair. I also had to fill the bottom in because they are molded with a hollow in them below where the rail sits.

post-1855-0-63170400-1358288710_thumb.jpg

Here are some sleepers being stained.

post-1855-0-23349300-1358288721_thumb.jpg

Rails and chairs being painted with an airbrushed mix of rust colour.

post-1855-0-11395700-1358288728_thumb.jpg

The end of one of the rails with holes drilled for fishplate bolts. This will be at the end of display as if the next length had been lifted. I have also nicked the top and bottom of the rails with a saw where the joints will be so they will look like separate lengths despite being solid behind the etched fishplates.

Any comments welcome!

Rick

I have now made up a few sleepers to go by the side of the track. The first is just a standard sleeper with chairs attached. The second is the same although someone has had a go at removing one of the chairs, I've drilled holes in the chair and the sleeper for the missing screws. The third is a sleeper with the chairs both removed, I have tried to represent the 'footprints' left by the chairs and again I have drilled holes where the screws would have been.

post-1855-0-98150200-1358289564_thumb.jpg

post-1855-0-01965400-1358289573_thumb.jpg

I am quite pleased with these so far. I am going to weather them more with an airbrush and glue some mud and ballast to them as if they were recently pulled up. I wonder if they look too square, old sleepers might have rotted and lost their shape a bit. Another problem with these sleepers is they are laser cut from plywood and you can see that clearly on the sides, hopefully the woodstain, mud and ballast will hide most of that. Obviously they are only meant to be viewed from above when they are laid in ballast.

Rick

Hi Rick,

An intriguing start, I look forward to seeing how this develops.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave! I've now made the track up, the rest of the board still needs detailing though. I wanted to see what level of detail I could go too in 7mm scale and although this has been enjoyable so far, I doubt if I would have the patience to do a whole layout like this! The fishplates each have four separately fitted replica square nuts from Scale Hardware in America. Please excuse the wooden base showing through the ballast where the lifted sleepers are, the next thing I'll do is put some ground cover down.

post-1855-0-63905700-1358547826_thumb.jpg

post-1855-0-75306000-1358547869_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rick

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I'm pleased with the track after leaving it 24 hours, so I think I'll call it finished for now. I did consider doing a bit more weathering with the airbrush and maybe making a red flag to go at the end of the line. Any opinions on that?

Cheers,

Rick

Archived