Gift Voucher for Steam Trip ?

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

A friend at work has asked me if I can make any recommendations for her brother's 60th birthday and she has suggested that a gift voucher for a trip on a steam excursion might be appropriate. Is anyone aware of companies that might offer this service - preferably for trips starting or picking up in the East Midlands then he can chose his favourite loco and/or route.

I realise that another idea could be a 'drivers' day on a preserved line and I'm investigating these locally but I have no experience of what goes on the main line

Many thanks

Mike

• RMweb Gold

If you head slightly futher afield to the west midlands then vintage trains do gift vouchers for their services, they normally start in birmingham so not too much of a trip over from your neck of the woods, they may have tours lined up that pick up in the east mids anyway

They run the shakespere express during the summer from snow hill to stratford upon avon which is a nice day out and reasonably priced too

Worth a look on their website to see whats up and coming

No other suggestions, but I can thoroughly recommend the "Shakespeare Express" from B'ham Snow Hill to Stratford. I treated myself and the wife to a birthday trip last year (my birthday!). It is a perfect combination if you have a "non-enthusiast" partner wiith you. The journey isn't too long and there is plenty of time to explore Stratford - history, river and "retail therapy". I got the chance to chat to Bob Meanley of Tyseley at Stratford - worth the trip on its own! Vintage Trains really have got this operation well sorted after doing it for many years.

The return run via Hatton was a treat with some very fast running by "Earl of Mount Edgecumbe". It is worth going for the option of a meal on board as you get to ride in a Pullman. We didn't book the breakfast as we chose the late-morning departure, but the evening meal on the return was fully up to top-quality restaurant standards. I'll be doing it again this year!

Cheers

Dave

Archived