Hanging wires

Hello!

About time I post a topic in this area of the Advice centre, usually asking questions than giving tips. Today, I've been fiddling around with all of those hanging wires that control the signals, points and the rest of the layout, and have been bugging me, and wanted to stop them hanging, and for them to be neater than they were. Seeings I had a lot of hanging wires, I found a cheap solution, that is very useful for those modellers with hanging wires under the layout. You require:

A staple gun

Masking tape (the wider, the better)

Thats all you need. Cut a length of masking tape, then fold it over, so sticky side to sticky side, so you have a strong piece of masking tape, but not sticky. Then, put it in place, under the wires, so its supporting them. Staple one end of the 'tape' pull the tape, so the tape doesn't hang down, then staple the end. Sounds complicated, but very simple once you know it. Here are some pictures of it done on my railway:

gallery_2850_52_255707.jpg

gallery_2850_52_135887.jpg

Sorry for the blur

Hope this helps!

Jack

Yikes! The Cable Fairies really have been at that lot. How on earth do you trace circuits when faultfinding? :D

Yea, its quite busy under there. Mostly, they are the signals, and nothing to them really. Just a lot of Maplins green wire. Thankfully, there isn't anything complicated under there.... I have learnt a lesson for my layouts to come though....

Why not just use a staple gun on its own? Keeps the wiring tucked out of the way and yet it's still easy to add wires or trace them round under a board.

post-6950-12622000696308_thumb.jpg

Wow! That's what model railway wiring is supposed to look like? That looks good enough to control the real thing. Mine always bears more relation to a birds' nest.

Neat wiring Gordon - now tell them its DCC - so no need for complicated wiring :D

I'm always stunned by that image its the way that the wires all appear so regimented and in order even where there are no staples holding them, all turning away from the connector blocks at exactly the right location. As neat as I make mine they always want to twist and turn with a mind of their own.

On a possible downside to the stapling - do you not find that the staple crushes the wire, weakening it?

Neat wiring Gordon - now tell them its DCC - so no need for complicated wiring biggrin.gif

I'm always stunned by that image its the way that the wires all appear so regimented and in order even where there are no staples holding them, all turning away from the connector blocks at exactly the right location. As neat as I make mine they always want to twist and turn with a mind of their own.

On a possible downside to the stapling - do you not find that the staple crushes the wire, weakening it?

It may be DCC but most of that wiring is for conventional control of solenoid motors via the diode matrix. biggrin.gif

I've had no problem at all with wires getting crushed. The force of the spring action pushing in the staples is soon absorbed into 12mm ply. The only thing you have to be careful with is centreing the staple over a group of wires and making sure a leg doesn't actually go through the insulation. That's quite easy to do on my staple gun as it has split castings joined together on the centre line.

As for neatness, it's just as easy to do it neatly as it is messy. I now try to do the wiring on a board before it's placed in position, so it's much easier doing it standing up versus crawling around underneath. All that is left then is joining the modules...

• 1 month later...

That is incredibly neat Gordon.

Ive seen some people store the cables in plastic trunking, like that used on to cover electrics in offices, only the smaller stuff.

Ste.

Cable trunking like this is expensive.

post-5868-12652772284885_thumb.jpg

I use comb binding used for making booklets etc like this.

post-5868-12652773130738_thumb.jpg

Fix to underside of the base boards with double sided tape or Evostick.

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

Another option, the hot glue gun on a low heat setting. Very quick and easy with no risk of damaging cables. You can easily modify things as the glue blobs can be levered off with a screwdriver, a sharp tug on the cable or the application of the hot end of the glue gun. Tidy wiring doesn't happen by accident, can't be done after the effect but requires you to do it as you wire up. May take you fractionally longer to actually wire things up but makes life much easier for sorting out problems and is frankly essential if you intend to transport the boards.

Tortoise2_31Oct08.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Archived