'Design Clever' or Extreme Detail?

Trainmaster64

I can't seem to find a topic like this anywhere in the Hornby board, so I'll ask it here: Hornby's announced their new strategy of 'Design Clever' for their latest new products, doing away with much of the externally-fitted detail in an effort to offer lower-cost items. Some items, like handrails, will be offered on these engines, but the majority of detail will be molded onto the new models as opposed to fitted separately, like a lot of Hornby's engines were before. The Railroad engines have less-detailed paintwork and no separate items coming with them, while the main-range has etched nameplates and externally-fitted items to add on.

However, is this a good thing? Do you think that Hornby should be sticking with this formula, in an effort to reduce the costs of their products and gain more customers, or should they stay with the highest level of detail they have become known for in recent years, no matter the cost?

I personally don't think this new strategy is that bad - moulded details allow for the engines to be handled easier than if there are many bits that can fall off, and if it brings costs down I think it could really help with the 99% of modellers out there, myself included, on a budget.

• RMweb Premium

This very topic was the subject of the Editorial in the February RM.

It's bound to provoke heated discussion with many people prepared to pay whatever is necessary to retain the current level of detail. Maybe Steve Flint's quotation, attributed to "a modeller" at the end of his piece sums it up...

"I'd rather have a Duke of Gloucester at a price I can afford (with the Design Clever approach) than just peer at one at a price I can't afford"

Irrespective of our desire for ever increasing detail, in these cash-strapped times, I'm sure Hornby's new initiative will prove popular.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Design Clever has been discussed in some depth. Not in the Hornby Board though - you'll find it covered in the Hornby 2013 Announcements thread in the Warner's Zone. There have also been specific comments relating to individual models where they have their own topics.

I'd prefer a model I can afford over a model I can't, that goes for everything in life.

If I'm not happy with the detail I get for my money, then I'll do some "proper modelling" and add the detail on. It's what we all had to do when Lima were the best we could get for the money, what's changed now?

It's just a shame we can't have the best of both worlds, and have the basic loco at price point A (slightly better than Railroad) and the option to buy the added detail parts in a bag to be fitted ourselves for an added price B, or buy the same loco with the detail factory fitted for price C. That way my budget dictates the quality of model I get, without losing any of the detail available. The mouldings won't change which keeps Hornbys cost down in manufacturing, and the customer gets what he can afford.

Mark

I can't seem to find a topic like this anywhere in the Hornby board, so I'll ask it here: Hornby's announced their new strategy of 'Design Clever' for their latest new products, doing away with much of the externally-fitted detail in an effort to offer lower-cost items.

I think you'll find this discussion has been 'done to death' under Warners Zone - News - Hornby 2013 Announcements.  Page 64 and previous should see all your queries aired and answered, as far as anyone knows.  As is often the case members are led to speculate without yet knowing just what the 'design clever' will entail.  But IMHO if they were intending to be really clever it should be possible to do more than just enhance Railroad quality items with a few more bits of lining and the odd stuck on nameplate and expect people to pay through the nose for them.

I'd expect this may well be merged with the other thread to avoid duplication.

Hornby's announced their new strategy of 'Design Clever' for their latest new products, doing away with much of the externally-fitted detail in an effort to offer lower-cost items. Some items, like handrails, will be offered on these engines, but the majority of detail will be molded onto the new models as opposed to fitted separately, like a lot of Hornby's engines were before.

Welcome Trainmaster64!

As has been mentioned, this topic is (or, hopefully for the time being, was) a very hot topic in the Hornby 2013 Announcements. There are pages and pages (most of the 66 of them) dedicated to it.

Hopefully we can suspend further discussion on Hornby's execution of what they are calling 'design clever' until we actually see the results when the 2013 models are in our hands.

(Yes, we've already seen 'design clever' with examples like Tornado.) I think we need to see the 2-BIL, DoG and Hall before we proceed further.

Archived