Dynamis problem help needed please

Dan Griffin

Hello there, I have a question relating to my dynamis dcc controller. before I go into what the problem is, I genuinely need help with this so comments such as 'go to lenz' switch to this' are not helpful. I last used my dynamis a few days ago and all was working perfectly, as it has for the past 4 years however upon plugging it in, the base station was dead. The handsets all work fine, but there was no responce from the main base station at all, no flickering lights or anything. The pins underneath the base station are covered in insulation tape to prevent any short circuits there. The power lead is not visably broken and nor should it be as I hadn’t moved it from the previous running session. Is this a 'common' fault with the dynamis? Like I said I’ve had it four years and really do get on with it well. This being the first major problem I’ve has with it. Cheers for any help. dan.

• RMweb Gold

I've never owned one of these, but reading the instructions it does say that the "LED on the command station receiver should light up" when you plug in the mains transformer.

Do you have a meter to make sure you are getting power from the power supply?

I've read that the plug can be a bit temperamental, the power supply one from the transformer into the command station.

If you take the wires out of the command station that go to the track and see it it comes on then, it could be somethings shorting it out somewhere.

Apart from that, I suggest a phone call/email to Bachmann tech services might be a good idea.

Cheers

Ian

Ive done some testing with a mate dynamis and it seems that the actual circuit board is kaput. Im assuming that there has been a short between the pins underneath even though they were covered by tape. Just an off chance foes anyone know how much Bachmann charge for a dynamis repair?? Cheers

Ive done some testing with a mate dynamis and it seems that the actual circuit board is kaput. Im assuming that there has been a short between the pins underneath even though they were covered by tape. Just an off chance foes anyone know how much Bachmann charge for a dynamis repair?? Cheers

Sorry about the above non reply,

I had a similar problem with the Dynamis about 4 years ago and although it was out of warranty it was repaired free of charge,Policies may have changed at Bachmann now though,but as Traction says give the Service Department a call.

• RMweb Premium

The Dynamis suffers from problems with tempreture fluctuations, could this have happened?

My old one could not cope with operating in the railway room in the winter and has now been replaced, by a Prodigy.

it would appear chaps that the going rate for Bachmann fixing a shorted out dynamis boxes is £50. i picked up a complete dynamis set from an internet auction for £60 so not too bad in the end. apart from that i had no problems with the dynamis, just the occasional signal loss. but overall im happy with it.

The joystick on my Dynamis handset started to play up. A call to Bachmann service dept got it repaired in a few days for a small out of warranty fee, and has work well ever since.

The Dynamis works well for what it does, adding the (expensive) pro box turns it into a much more advanced dcc system and the included extra ir sensor improves the wireless handset signal loss problem. Bachmann/ESU could have produced a truly great system with a proper rechargeable radio handset an oppotunity wasted.

Apart from the above I really like the Dynamis and hope there will further development of the system as Hornby are doing with Elite.

I think we have yet to see a really good dcc command station, they all have poor displays which are a long way behind even the most basic tablet pc's or games consoles for instance.

Everyone has their favourite command station, no doubt they will all seem archaic in few years time!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived