Replacement worm for Hornby pug

Fettster42

Hi, I am building a smallbrook puck and it uses the Hornby pug chassis, but with a new motor. You are supposed to remove the worm to reuse. I have attempted this with no luck, just many bent drifts, and almost certainly a knackered motor (good job I don't need it, but be nice to have had spare).

Can anyone recommend a replacement worm that I can buy instead and fit to the new motor?

Thanks

Hi, I did try heating the brass to no effect! I managed to get it removed yesterday with my dads help.

We used a metal vice, and I held the motor in place with a pair of long nose pliers across the vice, under the worm and dad used another pair to hold the replacement steel drift I had made and wielded the hammer. It actually knocked out really easily after my attempts. Turns out it is just a job that really needs 2 pairs of hands.

Awwalker, be careful fitting the worm on the replacement motor too. We followed the insturctions to the letter and it didn't mesh very well. We neded up pulling the work back down the shaft and it now runs fine (or at least did on the test track, I have now got to add the decoder, so who knows what it will be like after that!). There is about 2mm of drive shaft still visible between the motor and the top of the worm, it nearly touches the bottom of the keeper plate in the chasis.

Archived