Hornby 2 BIL EMU

I have pre ordered a couple of  2BIL EMUs as I have C & L trackwork I suspect that the driving wheels on the power bogie may well need replacing, I contacted Ultrascale wheels, but they did not have sufficient

knowledge to say whether they were able to supply the right wheelsets, they thought they did but were

unsure. I understand that an article here featured a conversion of the 4VEP set to ultrascale wheels and that according to the Railway Modeller review of the 2BIL EMU has the same power bogie as the 4VEP. So if someone can inform me as to the way forward on this I would be most grateful.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I have just seen your topic.  I suspect that Ultrascale might not have conversion packs of the correct diameter wheels for a Hornby 2 BIL.  The nearest you might get is a set of these:https://www.ultrascale.com/eshop/products/view/CAT007/392   The wheels are only 13mm in diameter rather than the scale dimension of 14.3mm and  the the gear wheels on these wheels might be right for the 2 BIL, it might be wrong.  Incidentally, I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the motor bogie on the 2 BIL is  the same as that fitted to the Hornby Brighton Belle model too.  So perhaps Ultrascale could be persuaded to produce a conversion pack which would then suit the 2 BIL, 5BEL and 4 VEP.  (I'm sure that a Hornby 4 VEP has been converted to Ultrascale wheels by Ian, AKA "5 BEL",  using the Class 73 conversion pack with the 13mm wheels.)

On the other hand, there could be a set of 14mm wheels in the Ultrascale range with the right size axles already,  which when matched with the right gear wheel, would be right for the model.   The only thing to beware of is that as you approach the right diameter of wheelset, there is the added risk that the flanges might foul the motor bogie moulding itself.  On the Hornby Class 73, conversion to use the wheelsets shown in the link, involves a small amount of plastic to be removed from the motor bogie around the tops of the wheels.  (This applies to the 00 gauge conversions, I suspect that EM gauge and P4 wheelsets would clear the 'tight' spots.

All the best,

Colin

Colin 

Hi Paul,

I have just seen your topic.  I suspect that Ultrascale might not have conversion packs of the correct diameter wheels for a Hornby 2 BIL.  The nearest you might get is a set of these:https://www.ultrascale.com/eshop/products/view/CAT007/392   The wheels are only 13mm in diameter rather than the scale dimension of 14.3mm and  the the gear wheels on these wheels might be right for the 2 BIL, it might be wrong.  Incidentally, I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the motor bogie on the 2 BIL is  the same as that fitted to the Hornby Brighton Belle model too.  So perhaps Ultrascale could be persuaded to produce a conversion pack which would then suit the 2 BIL, 5BEL and 4 VEP.  (I'm sure that a Hornby 4 VEP has been converted to Ultrascale wheels by Ian, AKA "5 BEL",  using the Class 73 conversion pack with the 13mm wheels.)

On the other hand, there could be a set of 14mm wheels in the Ultrascale range with the right size axles already,  which when matched with the right gear wheel, would be right for the model.   The only thing to beware of is that as you approach the right diameter of wheelset, there is the added risk that the flanges might foul the motor bogie moulding itself.  On the Hornby Class 73, conversion to use the wheelsets shown in the link, involves a small amount of plastic to be removed from the motor bogie around the tops of the wheels.  (This applies to the 00 gauge conversions, I suspect that EM gauge and P4 wheelsets would clear the 'tight' spots.

All the best,

Colin

Colin 

Hi Colin.

Thanks for the info, I might have to wait until the 2BILs arrive then have a look at what can be done, perhaps a little trial and not too much error, in the meantime as you say with the popularity of the BEL units and the forthcoming 2BILs, I understand from one trader that, the shipment is for only I think 1300 sets for each livery variation and most of this shipment looks like being taken by pre-orders, so perhaps not too many will go on general sale.

Look up Jane's trains on Facebook.

So in the meantime with this popularity perhaps as you say Ultrascale might be pursuaded to do

a conversion kit.

Regards.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I've looked again on the Ultrascale website and there does not appear to be a viable combination of axle/wheel diameter available.

I am not sure whether you have tried any Hornby stock with C&L track.   I do use Hornby wheels on some of my stock,with turned-down flanges for cosmetic reasons.   I don't recall any problems with unmodified Hornby wheels on SMP track though. Hornby wheels have quite a narrow tyre width of 2.5mm and look quite reasonable when the faces are painted with a track colour/sleeper grime hue. When (or from what you are saying about pre-orders,' if') I get hold of a 2 BIL, the first thing I will do is to try and reduce the flanges of the installed wheels.  I could turn out to be a disaster, but worth a go. 

If it does turn out that changing your model's wheels is the only option, it will have to be kept in mind that a change of wheel diameter will affect the ride height of the unit.  On reflection, it would also not be very wise to fit say, 13mm diameter wheels in the 2 BIL motor bogie without having matching ones in all the other bogies!  

All the best,

Colin

I contacted Ultrascale wheels, but they did not have sufficient knowledge to say whether they were able to supply the right wheelsets, they thought they did but were unsure.

Paul.

The most likely explanation is that they haven't seen one of the models yet, and need to take a look before committing,

The most likely explanation is that they haven't seen one of the models yet, and need to take a look before committing,

Hi Pete,

It might be more a case of us telling Mr Ultrascale what would suit the 2 BIL.  At least that was the case with the Hornby class 73 back in 2006, when he proposed supplying a class 67 conversion pack minus two of the gear wheels to me to see how I got on.  It worked.

Now, I have found a combination of parts on their website, which ought to be possible to be supplied together:  2.5mm axles, fitted with the 73 gears and the plain wheels shown here:https://www.ultrascale.com/eshop/products/view/CAT007/405  It would be quite appealing to Ultrascale if a new conversion pack can be supplied from parts already produced i.e no tooling costs.

I will volunteer to be the first to try! (Subject, as I said before, to trying the axle/gear combination from my class 73.)

All the best,

Colin

• 5 weeks later...
Guest oldlugger

Hi Paul,

All the best,

Colin

Colin 

I can confirm that Ultrascale P4 wheels easily clear the obstruction, negating the need to cut anything off the class 73 motor housing.

Cheers

Simon

Archived