Multiple working Class 90 electric locomotives

GBMRG

Good day all,

A thought came to mind the other day where a number of BR electric locomotive classes can work together.  There is plenty of evidence of this on the internet, etc.

My question is whether the Class 90 locomotive specifically has worked in multiple with other members of the class as I have not seen or heard of this.  I do not include locomotives that are dead in tow.

Look forward to any responses to this query with grateful thank in advance.

GBMRG

81-85 & 86/0- No MU equipment, can be double manned & run in tandem, but when this happened at night efforts were made to run with the loco's front pantograph leading (if still fitted with a pair) or marshall the locos with a pan leading, to avoid sparks from the overhead dazzling the second driver.

86/3 (latterly 86/4), 87/0 & 87101- Original MU equipment, although 87101 was rarely diagrammed to work with other locos because of it's superior performance.

86/1, 86/2, 86/4, 86/6, 87/1, 87/1- retrofitted with TDM, 89, 90 & 91 from new. It is possible to have a dead loco coupled between the loco and train when propelling.

92- Within class only.

The most common diagramming I can think of is pairs of 86/6's on a Freightliner, or the Ravenscraig steel trains that were often diagrammed for pairs of 87's.

86/3 (latterly 86/4), 87/0 & 87101- Original MU equipment, although 87101 was rarely diagrammed to work with other locos because of it's superior performance.

87101 had a lower HP output than 87/0 due to the first generation thyristors used. More importantly the power curve did not apparently match which meant that relative power between it and a loco couple to it would vary considerably.

On the GE section in 89/90 a pair of 86s both taking power was limited to 75 mph irrespective of what is was hauling.

Dear all,

Thank you for the responses thus far.  As I suspected, Class 90 locomotives working in multiple with each other seem a rare event.  It also appears working with other compatible electric locomotive classes has also been limited.

Many thanks once again and look forward to any more light to be shone on this query,

GBMRG

To be pernickety, 86/0 were actually fitted with M/U before they became 86/3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/4493026554/sizes/o/

I think I have a postcard somewhere of an 86/4 spec loco but still with it's 86/3 number...

Thinking about it further, on occasions pairs of Freightliner liveried 90's have been used as loadbanks for testing new electrification schemes, such as the Heathrow Airport link and at Shenfield.

Here are a pair of hired in 90's with their TDM connectors joined on an Euston-Birmingham, 90029 had failed and 90026 was added to keep the set in service:

post-6819-0-17725600-1358712269_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-90014000-1358712401_thumb.jpg

There is also a Garston-Dagenham automotive train that is used to transfer Anglia 90's to and from Crewe Electric, usually as DIT but on this occasion under power:

post-6819-0-67626900-1358712499.jpg

I think I have a postcard somewhere of an 86/4 spec loco but still with it's 86/3 number...

Thinking about it further, on occasions pairs of Freightliner liveried 90's have been used as loadbanks for testing new electrification schemes, such as the Heathrow Airport link and at Shenfield.

Here are a pair of hired in 90's with their TDM connectors joined on an Euston-Birmingham, 90029 had failed and 90026 was added to keep the set in service:

attachicon.gif DSCN1564.JPG

attachicon.gif DSCN1557.JPG

There is also a Garston-Dagenham automotive train that is used to transfer Anglia 90's to and from Crewe Electric, usually as DIT but on this occasion under power:

attachicon.gif 90024 90014 Rugby 301006.jpg

The workings from Garston Container Terminal used to have a pair of 90s quite regularly in the mid-late 1990s, mixed in with other electrics.

Mark

To be pernickety, 86/0 were actually fitted with M/U before they became 86/3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/4493026554/sizes/o/

And to be very pernickety, some 86/0 were multi fitted before conversion to 86/3 and some 86/3 ran around for a few years before being multi fitted.

There was no discernible reason for which locos were fitted until the decision was taken to fit them all.

Archived