CHESTERFIELD CENTRAL

B18 DUD

Hi,This is my first post and I have been given free range of MY converted garage room by the wife.I will be using my home town CHESTERFIELD late1950`s as a basis..East side will be the Midland, West side will be the Central and along the South wall will be a disused Horns Bridge Viaduct (Market station) with Tapton road bridge to the North as the cut off points,Of course a certain amount of compression will be needed...this does sound rather a lot to take on but I have purchased a large dismantled layout which came  with 40 foot of 4 road tracks a6 foot 4 platform station and a 16 foot ,17 road fiddle yard which when spilt in two, one half is very similar to the MR sidings south of the station,so the other half will be flipped round to the GC side.When I bought it it said it was 9 foot  long yard,got a lot more than I bargained for.....

.My question is does a source of information exist for my plans for Chesterfield Central station sidings similar to track plans in the book

THROUGH LIMESTONE HILLS by Bill Hudson

I have the Godfrey 1914 map which is Scaled @15" to the mile,which gives full detailed sidings and stations, however It just misses the sidings north of Chesterfield Central (.GCR Loop)which were behind the Arnold Laver wood yard they may have been part private .tried to source O/S for this but failed....CHEERS for any help or Ideas

• Like 1

You could contact Chesterfield Library,

I have a copy of an OS map at 25 inch to the mile of Chesterfield Market Place dated 1906 and I am sure that Central station will be on the map also. The map also helps with position of signals etc. The next time I'm in town I could get a copy for you, let me know. As Andyrush suggests the K Grainger book would be very helpful. The track layout is in there also.

Pete

You could contact Chesterfield Library,

I have a copy of an OS map at 25 inch to the mile of Chesterfield Market Place dated 1906 and I am sure that Central station will be on the map also. The map also helps with position of signals etc. The next time I'm in town I could get a copy for you, let me know. As Andyrush suggests the K Grainger book would be very helpful. The track layout is in there also.

Pete

Hi,yes the 1986 Godfrey edition of 1914 Chesterfield does indeed thank Chesterfield library for its help in the local O/S dept..Let me know if your map covers the Central station and the Stongravels area which ran adjacent to the sidings.  cheers,,, Steve

• 5 months later...

If you are doing Chesterfield in the later 1950s then you need lots of 8Fs and 4Fs on lon coal trains passing through the Midland station. A Fowler 2-6-4T waiting in the northbound bay with a train of suburban coaches for Sheffield - stopping all stations and double headed expresses on the fast lines with Jubilees or Black 5s with 2Ps as the pilots. My memory of  Central is that is was much quieter. There were engines simmering down in the distance towards a huge brick goods shed and the occasional passenger train but very few goods trains - these mostly went through Stavelely up to Arkwright Town on the main line. If you are going to do this in detail it is a huge project so good luck.

Hi,please forgive the wild mix of running stock.It will be adjusted to fit...though the Southern units I do remember passing Tapton Box in long Steam hauled trains on there way for scrap at Booth`s in Rotherham..One recollection is Market Station.in the very late 50`s,the books say it was closed, however I remember meeting my Grandfather who was a Shunter at Grassmoor sidings off of a train there,though possibly just an engine,so I can include that as well...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,please forgive the wild mix of running stock.It will be adjusted to fit...though the Southern units I do remember passing Tapton Box in long Steam hauled trains on there way for scrap at Booth`s in Rotherham..One recollection is Market Station.in the very late 50`s,the books say it was closed, however I remember meeting my Grandfather who was a Shunter at Grassmoor sidings off of a train there,though possibly just an engine,so I can include that as well...

Hi, I can see that it's progressed well and is looking great. If you need any more info I have copies of detailed maps of the area including track bed diagrams &  buildings footprints C1910. I live in Chessy but spend lots of time in Mablethorpe

• 8 months later...

From what I can glean the Market Place Station closed to goods traffic in 1957. But in those days there was no great haste to rip track up, and who knows when engineers trains stopped running? Market Place alone, with four platforms and a sprawling goods yard, would be quite a project for anyone to take on. 

I strongly recommend the Ken Grainger books for info on the GC side. They are packed with photos.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi

Can I recommend two books 1. Sheffield VIctoria to Chesterfield Central and 2.South from Chesterfield Central both by Ken Granger Fox Line Publications . Should no need anything else. 

Good look keep us up to date .

Derek 19b

• 8 months later...