Todays Ride

ronpixe

• RMweb Premium

I would guess its a generator for air conditioning in the coaches.

Thanks for the pictures, the St Kitts railway and some other Caribbean lines are the inspiration for a "based on" kind of modelling project I have on the far back burner.

• RMweb Premium

I would guess that it is air conditioning for the lower level of the coaches, but not having been there, it's just a guess.

I would guess its a generator for air conditioning in the coaches.

Thanks guys - seeing the exhausts on the roof it makes sense - my first thought was that it was a catering vehicle and they were cooking meals in there but in that heat they wouldn't need cookers would they - perhaps a few cold drinks instead :D

Mike

I was there a couple of years back and it doesn't look like they've improved it, shame they still state that it goes all the way around the Island. The track does but the train doesn't, if you've seen the track on the other side of the island then its a good job. I love St Kitts, wonderful place.

More photos plz..

• 3 months later...

What I liked was the way they operated. They have a little rail buggy which goes a few hundred yards ahead of the train to open the crossing gates. The gates are closed again by a couple of guys in a truck, who follow the train by road.

The loco was built in Romania, and the driver is from Alaska. The availability of cocktails and a choir moving from car to car ensures an entertaining trip as the top-heavy train lurches violently from side to side.

The train passes through several "stations" where sugar cane would have been loaded, each has hardstanding for trucks, and some have a few sidings. One even had a couple of abandoned wagons.

Archived