TTR/Trix Coaches

Hi All,

Just need a little info on TTR/Trix Coaches. I have seen a few Southern Coaches on ebay (Australia ; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140907603874?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649) and I would like to know about them. I have been to the TTR site, but the majority of their stuff is pre-war tin plate models. These coaches are plastic, look the goods and have been well looked after for their age. Yes I know they are HO, but they look to make a great looking train.

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Premium

Gary:

I have a couple of them (in Southern,yet). The scale is smaller than OO; I've heard 3.75mm. Visibly smaller.

Very nice looking if you can find the matching loco.

Bogies have mountings at each end -- one takes HD and the other Triang couplings. (Sorry, this is from memory as I can't go down and dig them out tonight.)

If they were OO they would probably be much better than the old Triang/Hornby Mk 1s.

The problem with the scale is that they are between HO and OO so both types will look wrong compared to the coaches.  

In 3.8mm scale, Trix produced a plastic bodied Western, diecast Warship and EM1.  Steam wise, a Britannia and class 5 was produced.  There are also the Transpennine driving vehicles that used these coaches as centre cars.

One option to make them 'bigger' is to put larger wheels on them or perhaps raise the gap between the bogie and underframe.

Varieties produced were:

Blue/Grey, SR Green, Maroon, Choc/Cream, Transpennine Green: RMB/CK/BCK

SR Blue, 'LMS' Maroon, 'GWR' Choc/Cream CK/BCK

As Alastair states, the Transpennine examples are worth a fair bit.  The blue/grey versions being denoted by NE numbers.  The SR blue versions are rare too.  I only know this as my dad is a Trix collector and must have over a hundred of them!  

Edit:  There are also Pullman mark 1's, both in reversed blue/grey and Umber/Cream.

Apart from the 1:80 scale, which makes them noticeably undersized against 4mm stock, they are nice coaches. They are very free running, but suffer from the usual recessed windows. The couplings are the Trix version of the Peco Simplex, which will couple with Peco and Dublo OK, but the droplink is spaced for Trix uncouplers and not compatible. Apart from the Trix locomotives (there are also a 66xx 0-6-2T and E2 0-6-0T), the Rivarossi 'Scot' and coaches are to the same scale. Trix buffers are set to 4mm width and Rivarossi to 3.5mm (!!??) AFAIK, the overall width is to 4mm scale too. (The original reason for the 00 compromise has never gone away!)

Apart from the 1:80 scale, which makes them noticeably undersized against 4mm stock, they are nice coaches. They are very free running, but suffer from the usual recessed windows. The couplings are the Trix version of the Peco Simplex, which will couple with Peco and Dublo OK, but the droplink is spaced for Trix uncouplers and not compatible. Apart from the Trix locomotives (there are also a 66xx 0-6-2T and E2 0-6-0T), the Rivarossi 'Scot' and coaches are to the same scale. Trix buffers are set to 4mm width and Rivarossi to 3.5mm (!!??) AFAIK, the overall width is to 4mm scale too. (The original reason for the 00 compromise has never gone away!)

Re: Couplings - remove bogie, unscrew and remove current coupling, then cut off the protrusion at end of the bogie for the coupling and turn bogie 180 degrees. You will find that the other end of the bogie is designed to accommodate the old Triang/Triang Hornby couplings.

XF

I seem to remember having a couple of Trix  choc/cream WR coaches in the 60's/70's. I believe they were CKD (complete knock down) format and one put them together with the couplings of choice. They ran well but as stated they were a slightly different scale and were smaller than the old Triang. They didn't survive the cats/downsizing/moving as I remember finding a broken one in its box with some old wagons.

Archived