Holcombe S&DJR

slow8dirty

• RMweb Gold

Yes, you must, and make sure you tell us all about it as that single teaser shot looks very interesting.   :biggrin_mini2: (Like the thoughts for the station building.)

Thanks Matt. It has been dormant for far too long. The layout has always been a test track to trial various techniques before I embark upon a larger project ( S&DJR obviously ).

I will take some more photos and start my own thread. Watch this......er....that space.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Just a quickie. ...Matt, all your fault.See thread in layouts....Gunney Slade.

Yet another S&DJR branch terminus. This is getting out of hand.....

Rob

• RMweb Gold

4 locos now running nicely!

I'm now at the stage where I need to think about signalling and point rodding runs( the 2nd bit will be a first for me) before I can throw too much PVA at the layout. I have got an idea of what I want to do, but have thrown it out for help and fine tuning over in the dark and mystical signalling and infrastructure forums.

Thread here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82063-signalling-holcombe-sdjr-nettlebridge-valley-branch/

Cheers

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

well the response to my signalling questions was overwhelming, thanks all who responded, happy with the way forward and my next posts will be of how to tie Wills' point rodding into knots  :no:

Other than that working on design of the cassettes for the fiddle yard and the monster loco chipping bonanza continues with gusto!

Slighty off topic( but with a railway related reason), a secondary hobby of mine is wargaming. So secondary in fact that its taken over a year to get round to painting the first of some U.S. Rangers for a planned scenario set to the South of the famous Pointe du Hoc on D Day morning.

And this is they

post-2109-0-32920400-1393162344.jpg

post-2109-0-55336000-1393162389.jpg

They're 28mm, which is an approximate 1:56 scale., they're not show standard or anything, but they are my first since some Elves 30 yrs ago and I'm pleased with the results. I've also been looking for loco crew figures for the layout and this has got me to thinking about the comparatively poor pickings figure wise and acceptance of low standards with figure painting on otherwise excellent models. Whilst not everything is transferable to a smaller scale, I have got a clutch of O gauge figures to paint for the clubs "Uffculme" layout, so it will be interestng to see what can be done with these.

I suppose a figure is a small part for the railway modeller whereas the figure is most of it for the wargamer, but I think there is room for some cross pollenation here.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oops!

Long time no postie :blush: .  Been a long time and no activity, to be honest I nearly gave up on the hobby as a whole let alone this project. But after a little time away I realised how much sanity I get from playing with toy trains, and work is recommencing on this and other projects(ssh don't tell the missus).

All but one of the locos has now been chipped, mostly plug and play, but I needed to tweak some settings, so that built my DCC confidence. Most rcently I managed to DCC the split chassis Ivatt Tank using the guide that was linked to on rmweb some time ago. I won't say it was without issues due to the way the motion is put together, but all went well come the end. I'll try to remember the link and post up here if I can because the DCC ready version still seems a little way off.

So to the layout itself, work has concentrated on gettting the fiddle yard built and working.

post-2109-0-44035600-1412024688.jpgpost-2109-0-88723300-1412024693.jpg

Had to go with a cassette system as the fiddle yard protrudes into the normal peoples living space when in use. I also don't have much movement space. So a cassette has been made for each rake required by the timetable plus a set of 1ft ones to join to them for the locos required for each phase of the timetable, the longest length is 3ft max. Still have to finish the loco cassettes, but the design seems to work, cassettes are stored on a set of shelves opposite the layout, so in theory the operator just has to turn 90deg to swap cassettes over. Alignment and continuity is provided by heavy duty paper clips from the stationary cupboard! (Rapesco I believe).

Nearly time for the messy stuff!

Cheers,

Matt

Edit: Here we go, it is still in the rmweb archive.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=38591

• RMweb Gold

Liking the fiddle yard, Matt. This is one of the things I have been pondering with Gunney Slade. A cassette system may well be the way to go.

Good to see your layout up and running again. Must drag mine out as promised.

Liking the look on the milk train by the way. Just right.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob,

its a good feeling to have the "full" layout now. On previous layouts the fiddleyard has always suffered from being an afterthought, the space restrictions caused by the move out of the garage has forced me to actually design this one.

Anyway, what you doing reading this? Get out and set those boards up.  ;)

Matt

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello and in todays episode of in Plywood In Depth, something a little bit different, some modelling!

post-2109-0-42335400-1415442306.jpgpost-2109-0-01704600-1415442348.jpg

Scenecraft Shillingstone box reskinned to be more appropriate for my fictory.

its not finished yet, photos are as much to show me what still needs doing as anything else.

Also this month I've fitted the boards for the backscene and made a proper start on the point rodding runs with the Wills kits . Very fiddly, and personally if I was to do it in future I'd probably man up and do it with metal components. I've worked out where all the compensators etc will need to go, doesn't mean I'll be that exact in placing them but at least I'll know where they should have been.

Cheers,

Matt

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry, just a small update, after all its only been three months!

I have spent most of the last three months finishing off the signalbox and fitting dummy point rodding everywhere. It hasn't taken so long because of fastidous detail and accuracy, it is because some weeks I've only been able to give 20-30 mins to modelling, and also fitting the Wills point rodding kits has got to be one of the most soul destroying tasks in the hobby I have yet to encounter. Sorry ballasting you've lost your No.1 spot, 'cause I'm positively looking forward to you now.

I've just got to fettle the representation of the FPLs a little due to the pony truck on the Bachy Ivatt hanging very low down compared to everything else.  Then an extensive testing session, just to identify any further little issues you understand, then I can start ballasting and further scenickery :sungum: .

As an aside, this thread started with how the I had moved out of the garage and adapted the layout to fit, it now seems very likely I might have to go back out there.   :banghead:

We rent at the moment so hopefully I can make the garage warm enough for habitation with purely temporary measures. The structure has light and power and is of sound brick block contruction with a half boarded ceiling, so it could be worse, I shall have to wait and see.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Holy thread revival Batman!

As its been three years or so its time for a little update. Right obviously I've been away from the hobby for a little while, due to circumstance and perhaps a loss of mojo with the hobby as well if I'm honest. End result was that eventually most of my stock was sold off.

Fast forward a bit, one more time hungry little person in the family, new work finally found, things gradually getting back on an even keel, railway modelling is starting to prove to be an itch I cannot scratch. Last few months I have planned, costed things up, look at old source books for inspiration, gone round in circles planning basically. Even to the point of starting a new planning thread, (soon to be redundant :blush:) for an n gauge project.

Well, to cut a long story short, after a chat with my son at my local club's exhibition today, this project is back on, after a 3 yr break, with the directive from the domestic authorities that this is seen through to the end, and a surprising amount of interest from my oldest son! :sungum:

So here is the state of play.....post-2109-0-27255000-1537041351_thumb.jpgpost-2109-0-94084400-1537041411_thumb.jpgpost-2109-0-38685900-1537041443_thumb.jpg.  Yup pretty depressing isn't it?

Actually it is better than it looks, all the trackwork appears to be in good nick(well whats still attached to the boards that is), power to the point motors is still good after some minor repairs, rewiring needed on the buffer stop end and the boards are warp free and dry after total neglect. So a lot better than it deserves to be.

Stock wise, after having shelves enough for 3 S&D branches, I've got a rake of 16t minerals and a milk wagon left over  :imsohappy:.

Oh, and the wills point rodding has held up marvellously.

• RMweb Gold

No, but rest assured a request has been put in to Templecombe to send a 3F northwards! In the mean time the focus is on sorting the garage, building layout support and a new fiddle yard, then the wiring.

By the time all that is sorted, I reckon I'll be looking for something small wheelbase to test pointwork with, I dunno, maybe an 0-4-4T. Wonder if anyone is thinking of one in RTR one day? ;)

Archived