Sand traffic

This thread makes for some interesting reading! With regards the MTV sand tipplers, these were made as a whitemetal body kit in 4mm which were then fitted to a Dapol tank chassis. Does anyone know if they are still available and who made them?

Cheers

Simon

Wasn't that Mendip Models? Many years ago now, though I think those kits were resin (or at least, later became so). I think I came to the conclusion, even then, that I could manage better than that (assuming you can find the measurements).

Adam

Wasn't that Mendip Models? Many years ago now, though I think those kits were resin (or at least, later became so). I think I came to the conclusion, even then, that I could manage better than that (assuming you can find the measurements).

Adam

Pretty certain they were Mendip, and originally cast, designed to fit ex-Airfix 35t tank wagon chassis. I didn't bother with them, as I'd already done a few after seeing the originals at Cockshute Yard when they were on stone traffic from Caldon Quarry to Witton. The measurements were 'guesstimated', bu they're pretty close.

Adam

Thanks for that Adam. I think I may look at scratch building then!

Cheers

Simon

Pretty certain they were Mendip, and originally cast, designed to fit ex-Airfix 35t tank wagon chassis. I didn't bother with them, as I'd already done a few after seeing the originals at Cockshute Yard when they were on stone traffic from Caldon Quarry to Witton. The measurements were 'guesstimated', bu they're pretty close.

Has the tank chassis ever been sold seperately? Looking at them, it should be a straight forward scratch building job with sheet and strip.

Cheers

Simon

Ian, smack on, that's some memory you have there!

Not really :D - it's staple fodder for a Highfit fleet, I must have about ten bodies in various states. Most steel underframed 5-plankers are substantially very similar whether built by the LMS, LNER, SR or BR; you just have to watch details like the shape of the end stanchions and position of door bangers

Has the tank chassis ever been sold seperately? Looking at them, it should be a straight forward scratch building job with sheet and strip.

No it hasnt, but I wouldnt think s/h kits would be rare or too dear - as you say, there cant be many wagons that are simpler to scratchbuild. Out of interest, I think there have been some whitemetal MTVs, and not just from MTK

Cheers

Simon

The chassis hasn't been available seperately, but it's cheap enough that you can justify throwing away the tank body or using as a diesel store for a transport depot or similar- exactly like the real thing. I believe Mendip combined the body with an etched frame to represent a 20' tank container. Scratch-building is indeed straightforward- the main difficulty is to stop the sides bowing in whilst solvent sets.

Some of the prototypes received the 'STONE' logo used on wagons based at Westbury, which they retained when moved elsewhere.

• 5 weeks later...

Sand was also shifted from Oakamoor sand sidings to Port Sunlight in Prestwin wagons as per Hornby model although the wagons I remember best were the MTV's and the HKO/HKV hoppers and latterly the BIS PAA wagons

Not great images of the hoppers but round the Leek Brook Area anyway

Leek Brook

And as if by magic I found this image complete with lettering to confirm its route

prestwin

I remember the Southminster flow which was usually class 37-hauled. In wet weather when the sand got heavier, it wasn't uncommon for axle boxes to run hot with hoppers being shunted out into various handy sidings along the way. Rumour has it that the remaining "train" was sometimes only one wagon!

Thanks for that; any idea of a date for the photo?

Cheers

It was taken by my late father during the 1960's as he took most of his railway photos locally, he lived in Leek. I inherited an interesting collection of images all taken towards the closure of the Churnet Valley line as a through route and I'm sure that image was published in a book that I'm trying to find as it will give the date I hope. The book in Question is the Churnet Valley by Robert Keys and I remember many of the images in the book been credited to the wrong people and my fathers copy had them all corrected.

• 3 years later...

I'm currently in the planning stage for my layout called "Pendeford Sidings" which is a fictional line North of Wolverhampton, I've got the baseboards built and I'm hoping to add a glass factory which I'm hoping can generate traffic in and out, which got me wondering and lead me to this thread .I'd like to have Sand tripped into the factory and reading through this thread I'm wondering would it be possible to have had the sand delivered in the 5 plank wagons mentioned and if so how would they have been discharged or would the sand be delivered for a factory in Tipplers, Hoppers or Prestwins?    

Regarding sand traffic from North Staffordshire there is a good shot of Oakamoor B.I.S. sand sdgs in 1965 here at 03:48 

you can clearly see a good mix of wagon types in use ranging from Prestwins, Tipplers, 5 planks,Highfits, 16 tonners and Hoppers. Traffic from Cheadle in the 60's and 70's was I believe Sand and Gravel for use in the construction industry, the block flow was Cresswell to Ordsall Lane and in a copy of the 1973 Manchester Trip notice, wagons on that flow were tripped into Ordsall Lane R.M.C. sdgs.

Simon

I think you've answered your own question, Simon. BIS's sand from Oakamoor was for industrial use; mainly for glass-making, but also for abrasives, scouring powder and similar applications. If it left Oakamoor in 5-plankers, then it would probably have been delivered to the end-user in them. Unloading would probably have been by hand, unless there was some sort of 'vacuum-cleaner' type machinery (such things have been used to unload grain and similar cargos from ships for some time)

Cheadle's sand was for use as building material- the last regular traffic was for use by BR as 'blanketing sand' for track renewals, with a lot of ex-works 'Plaice' being seen around Cockshute yard in 1977 carrying it. Such a shame the doors were such a poor fit..

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

A bit of a revival here after four years! I am interested in the wagons that would have been used to deliver sand to the St Helens area in the mid -1970s. Can anyone confirm if the B.R 1/163, 1/166 and 1/167 were used for this traffic at this time. If so, were the deliveries from Oakamoor?

I would assume that some deliveries used Covhops but I haven't found any definitive information in the form of photographs.

I saw that MTVs were mentioned earlier in the thread in relation to shipments out of Oakamoor. Any ideas on when they began to be used and where they were destined for?

Prestwins were also mentioned in the thread. One of the aspects of these wagons that I have noticed in photographs is that they rarely seemed to run as block loads but a few are often seen marshalled in mixed goods trains. This is especially noticeable in  photographs from the 1960s.

For 2FS Stephen Harris does kits for the ex-ore hoppers and the covhops and he has produced Prestwins for the 2mm Association. He also does a kit for the 35T tank wagons and, if necessary, I may be able to wheedle some underframes out of him to scratchbuild some MTVs!

Any information gratefully received.

David 

Archived