Black wash weathering of a Bachmann Class 47

Hi,

I remember reading a topic, probably a couple of years ago, that showed how to weather a Baccy Class 47 using a wash technique. The loco used was 47612 TITAN, but using these as search prompts amongst other words, I cannot seem to find the topic. I have tried, honest!

I'm sure I didn't imagine it so would be most grateful if someone could help point me in the right direction.

Kind regards

Chris

I dont know the article but washes are a basic weathing technique that it would pay you to master. Black as a wash is a tad on the dark side and should be used with care. Greys and browns work best. The colours you use should be dictated by the colour you are weathering over. Dark browns and greys (even black) work well in grilles and vents as they create depth and shadow. Even an ex works loco would benefit from washes in deep detail to give realism and shading and help remove the toy look. Washes are used as the first step to a weathered finish and sets the shadow and base for which other techniques can be laid over for the final look. Having read your post again I seem have a slight recollection of the post. I think it was more a paint on wipe off technique if I remember rightly. Again another technique which needs to be mastered and combined with other techniques. I have seen it used solely and too heavily far to often with frankly poor results which for some reason unknown to me get praised as realistic where it really isnt.

Cav

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I remember reading a topic, probably a couple of years ago, that showed how to weather a Baccy Class 47 using a wash technique. The loco used was 47612 TITAN, but using these as search prompts amongst other words, I cannot seem to find the topic. I have tried, honest!

I'm sure I didn't imagine it so would be most grateful if someone could help point me in the right direction.

Kind regards

Chris

Chris

You'll find what you remember in the 'Leaford' layout thread. Just found it Page 8 post #187.

Guest 40-something

I dont know the article but washes are a basic weathing technique that it would pay you to master. Black as a wash is a tad on the dark side and should be used with care. Greys and browns work best. The colours you use should be dictated by the colour you are weathering over. Dark browns and greys (even black) work well in grilles and vents as they create depth and shadow. Even an ex works loco would benefit from washes in deep detail to give realism and shading and help remove the toy look. Washes are used as the first step to a weathered finish and sets the shadow and base for which other techniques can be laid over for the final look. Having read your post again I seem have a slight recollection of the post. I think it was more a paint on wipe off technique if I remember rightly. Again another technique which needs to be mastered and combined with other techniques. I have seen it used solely and too heavily far to often with frankly poor results which for some reason unknown to me get praised as realistic where it really isnt.

Cav

I use a wash to start the weathering on my locos, brownish for the bodysides and underframe, dark grey for the roof/bonnet tops.  I paint on and wipe off, this Class 27 was done using enamel paints.  I tend to use acrylics more these days as I find them easier to clean up.

• I am a big fan of washes since my military modelling days. Here is an example I did today. Bit of Humbrol 33 black , thinned with white spirit, and applied with a broad flat brush. I allowed it to dry enough for the WS to evaporate, then selectively removed paint with(good quality Johnsons)cotton buds and a propelling fibre glass pencil. Usually I use Rowneys oil paints as these give a longer working time.

post-512-0-87034400-1359484663_thumb.jpg

The paint on wipe off is a very valid technique but it needs to be done in such a way as to not look brushed on and wiped off if that makes sense. The effect you are trying to create is dirt caught in recesses and any surface dirt left to look washed down by rain. Neither should be heavily done in one pass. It is often used as a fast and easy weathering technique which is only teaching bad habits. You need to learn how to apply it subtly and in conjunction with other techniques to give the whole effect.

The pic below of an 08 I did employs several techniques, the wipe off being one, but it needs them all to work as the finished model (handrails still to add on the bottom shot)

post-6894-0-22313600-1351365080_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-38385600-1351123743.jpg

Cav

Archived