Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Your favourite railway "sound"?

sammyboy

Hi,

I think for me it has to be one of a couple of things:

1.) The sound of a class 165/168/170 reving up before it moves when departing a station.

2.) A pair of EWS class 37's opening up with a heavy load out of High Wycombe at around 10 at night

3.) A class 33 when working hard

And for some reasons, the satisfying 'clunky' sound of the combined power handle in a turbo star makes when you pull back on it for power.

Simon

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the new Virgin advert dubs some pointless Virgin Eurobox DMU (or EMU) with the unmistakable sound of a HST at full throttle true music to the ears for anyone who hails from the 70's and 80's

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

The growl from an 071 working hard through Harmonstown. And we lived 3 miles away.

Edited to remove an ambiguous misspelling.

Finally someone mentioning an Irish loco.

The 201s don't sound as plesent, though..!

• 3 weeks later...

For me my favourite sound from the diesel era would have to be a Paxman Valenta powered HST on full power.

For the steam era I have a Peter Handford record (now on CD) called West of Exeter and on there is the sound of a Hawksworth single chimnied County, actually 1021 County of Montgomery blasting out of Exeter st Davids station heading west in 1957-58. The writer Kenneth Leach said that the sound of a Hawksworth single chimney County departing Bodmin Road was not a sound easily forgotten.

Archived