Midlands N gauge, circa. 1956-1962

daniel8910

Good Evening :)

After reading the forum for a while ( and being in awe for almost all of that time) i have decided to take the plunge, and show my plans for a new layout.

Specs

3 Platforms ( 2 Terminating, 1 Through)

Cattle Dock

Coal Merchants

Double Engine Shed

Turntable

Freight Sidings

Hopefully they can keep me busy :O

All the remaining details should be visible on the picture :)

Track 1.pdf

Hello and welcome to RMweb.

I dont mean the first post to be a negative but Im not quite sure how the plan works if Im honest. The whole yard appears to have been taken over by the loco facilities with a turntable on one side and an engine shed on the other. A lot of people do like excessive loco storage space but on your plan this seems to make the shunting of freight services very difficult. I also think the bottom platform in the station needs tweaking. I may be wrong but it just doesnt feel quite right to me. I would personally considering turning making that a through line as well, which means you have both up and down platforms. You can alway terminate services on the through line. This will also make running round the stock easier.

I think your plans could be easily tweaking into a layout that would be very enjoyable to operate so hopefully we will see layout pictures in the not too distant future ( Im not the font of all knowledge so others can probably give a much more valuable opinion than mine and anyway - its your layout so feel free to do what makes you happy!!)

Good luck and most importantly enjoy!

Mark

Sure it's a first draft , will definitely be tweaked :) so if I make the bottom platform's line into a through line would that increase operating potential? Would some extra yard sidings by the turntable make it more interesting? Using up the space at the top , I could put an industry there?

• RMweb Premium

Your plan has lots of potential but at the moment I feel that you are significantly underestimating the size of points, curves and the turntable. Even a short radius point will take up 4inches and the turntable will need nearly 7 so with the 6 points you have leading to the TT you have already filled half the space and the TT will take that to just over 2.5ft so you then only have 1.5ft to fit in all the curves and straight track that you want.

I can probably expand the board by about 1 1/2 feet. I would like to use medium radius in the goods yard, and long radius in the through lines etc. Once i have purchased some more track, i will get it all down and check measurements. There will also be detachable extention boards to the layout , but they will just be straight tracks going off the side of the board, with no pointwork. I could move the turntable to where the loco storage is , but i think that could be problematic; or i could leave the turntable out altogether; i am mostly running green diesels and dmus , with only a couple of steam locos. In removing the turntable, the track where it was could act as a headshunt for the industry on the plan. This means i could spread the points acroos a longer distance. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I would agree that the second plan is better. It has greater resemblance to the full sized railway than the first one.

Things to watch out for however.

- The head shunt for the sidings is rather short meaning that these sidings will be hard to shunt.

- You don't have a run round. This means that only trains entering from the bottom can access the sidings before reversing out and taking there trains towards the top. Not unknown but it restricts the operational potential.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived