Double Oval and Clueless

EssexDave

Hi guys, I'm completely new to model railways. I've purchased Flying Scotsman Set with B,C track packs plus a L/H, R/H points. I wish to build a double oval using 1 train so it can utilise both ovals. I'm just a little unsure about power to both ovals. I've been reading up but I've become more confused than ever. Any help for a dimwit tend Essex Boy would be most appreciated.

Thank You

Hello Dave

Im assuming you have the standard Hornby controller that allows control of one loco at a time. If you build your 2 ovals (inner and outer) and connect them with the points you have they will be isolated from each other electrically until you switch both points to allow a loco to move from oval to the other.

If you connect your controller via a power clip to the outer oval you will be able to run your single loco around the outer circuit. If you change the points to allow the loco to move to the inner circuit the movement of the points will allow the inner oval to become powered as well which is fine until your loco completes its circuit on the inner loop and comes around to find the points are set against it.

If you only plan to run one loco at a time I would suggest a quick fix for you is to create a permanent power connection between the outer and inner circuits by taking a wire from the left rail of the outer track to the left rail of the inner track and doing the same with the right hand rails of both circuits. This could be by soldering 2 lengths of wire at convenient points or I recall that Horby used to sell a set of two power clips and connecting wires for just such a job. This will mean that both ovals can be controlled by one controller but cannot run independently of each other.

Im taking a wild guess by the Essex prefix that you are in that area - there is a very good model railway show this weekend at Erith ( google Erith Model Railway) this may be a good opportunity to pick up a second controller (the Hornby basic ones or Bachmann variants are usually very reasonable) that would then allow you to dedicate a controller to each oval and dispense with the connecting wires I mentioned earlier.

If all my wittering has left you bewildered I can recomend this web page http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.htm

I hope that helps a bit - and welcome to the hobby.

Chris

Thanks so much Chris, I've already purchased one of the Hornby clips mentioned. It was just after reading about different layouts I wasn't sure i was going down the right path, but you've cleared it up perfectly for me.

Many thanks again

Dave

Archived