Electrical Pick Up Problems

250BOB

In the last month or so I have purchased DP2 and 27027, both Heljan models.

For the first 30 minutes or so during the running, they ran perfectly. But then after a brief stutter, they packed in, no lights, so no power getting in.

Checked the decoder, which ok in another loco,, but all I got was ERR02 on the program track.

Put the loco in a maintenance cradle having put the blanking plug back in to convert back to DC. Proceeded to test each axle to see if I could get the locos to work, and on DP2 none of the wheels picked up power, and only one axle on the 27.

On inspection it appeared the pick ups were not in contact with the wheel backs, this proved to be the case on all axles. Following a bit of gentle bending to get them contacting firmly, I had power then from every axle, and both locos continue to perform impeccably.

I thought I would post this thread, as I thought others must have similar problems, surely I couldn't have bought the only two Heljan locos with poor pick up problems.

Bob

This was always the case with the older Heljan Class 33s and 47s I owned (the ones with the gunk covered wheels) and a tweak of the pick-ups produced superb running quality.  I have only owned one or two Heljan locos with the newer shiny wheels and they never suffered the issue you describe.  You may just have been unlucky with these two but hopefully anyone else with the issue will see this thread. 

I've got a 33 that behaves in much the same way... simply 'adjusting' the pickups solved the problem.

I think there was a thread somewhere on RMWeb that talked about this before?

Ahhh.....I thought there must have been maybe, I couldnt possibly have been the only one to suffer these niggles.

• RMweb Gold

This was always the case with the older Heljan Class 33s and 47s I owned (the ones with the gunk covered wheels) and a tweak of the pick-ups produced superb running quality.  I have only owned one or two Heljan locos with the newer shiny wheels and they never suffered the issue you describe.  You may just have been unlucky with these two but hopefully anyone else with the issue will see this thread. 

I found adjusting them on the older 33 a constant problem due to the gunk picked up.  Gave up in the end and bought a replacement wheelset from Howes and the loco now runs fine.

Archived