Poirot Episode

BrianE

New Year Quiz Question:

Recentish episode of Poirot (though it's been on many times before) had level crossing with very steep road (cobbled, I think) leading away. Supposed to be Up North (Scotland?) and featured a bicycle stolen and buried. Does anyone know the location? I want to find photos because I think it might just suit my modelling purposes.

HNY to all

Brian

I liked the fact that a br standard 4-6-0 and an gwr Ditcheat manor were supposed to be continental

Was that the (I believe) new episode a night or two back when the BR 4-6-0 pulled the train to Cornwall and the Manor pulled the one to York, as well as morphing into each other on the trip to Monaco? This seems to happen so often that I sometimes think they do it just to wind us up :rolleyes:

Nick

Was that the (I believe) new episode a night or two back when the BR 4-6-0 pulled the train to Cornwall and the Manor pulled the one to York, as well as morphing into each other on the trip to Monaco? This seems to happen so often that I sometimes think they do it just to wind us up :rolleyes:

Nick

It's annoying because in the earlier ITV series of Poirot they used to go to considerable trouble to get the elements that gave the series its atmosphere of the 30s as ultra modern believable if not strictly correct. In Murder on the Links I could accept that 231G558 was arriving at Trouville-Deauville from Paris with its tender full of water and even (just) that it departed by backing out of the station. Had the more recent Mystery of the Blue Train employed the same locomotive- a Ouest Pacific- to stand in as a generic French express loco I'd have accepted that but to have an 8F pulling the Blue Train past very British signals and arriving in Nice (from the Italian end!!) with a very dodgy CGI background just spoiled the suspension of disbelief.

It's not just here though. I was watching a French made drama on TV5 a couple of weeks ago and in one sequence set around a factory in Northern France was the background sound of a shunting locomotive - complete with low pitched whistle and the bell mandated by federal regulations for all American locomotives !! - in other words the French dubbing mixer had managed to find an effects track of a steam locomotive not only not from France but not even from Europe. Dohhhh!!!

It might have been the episode on Sunday where the train to Yorkshire appeard to be leaving from Paddington? Who'd have thought that the network was so flexible.

Can't wait to see what happens in "Murder on the Orient Express", which apparently is coming up soon. Might end up as murder on the "Bolton Abbey excursion"

Rovex

• RMweb Gold

It might have been the episode on Sunday where the train to Yorkshire appeard to be leaving from Paddington? Who'd have thought that the network was so flexible.

Rovex

Well there was at one time in BR IC Cross-Country days a Paddington - Edinburgh train so it's not quite as far fetched as it might seem :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Yes, and I for one was very suprised to learn that BR Standards were around in the 1930s...blink.gif wink.gif

But at least the coaching stock will look continental, a fact which was no doubt behind the choice of the Nene Valley as a location. The use of a BR loco is also suprising as I thought they also possesed some continental locos (as used in the bond movie filmed there in the 80s) but I guess they must all be out of ticket.

• 4 weeks later...

In the first ""Chronicles of Narnia" film (The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe), the producers had made a very credible attempt at a GWR express: a GWR Loco (Castle I believe), albeit in BR livery (which was turned into a passably convincing GWR livery with some "make up") and several GWR coaches (Colletts I think) in the right livery. These appeared very briefly at the start of the film when the children boarded the train at Paddington (quite a convincing scene), continued with a few shots of the train travelling (moderately convincing - given it was a single track line, which would probably be unusual for an express - even in wartime [period of the film]) and when the train dropped the children off at a small halt (very unlikely, methinks).

Pity, as Pacific231G pointed out, that the Poirot series producer are getting it so wrong now, when they used to get it quite right!

Perhaps the new (???) producers and directors are of the generation that never played with trains during their childhood??? Might explain their cavalier attitude to consists

• RMweb Gold

I think the problem with all the new 'Poirot' dramatisations is that they are being done on the cheap with far less emphasis on design and getting period stuff correct. One repeated(already)very recently was criticised in 'The Radio Times' (of all things) for changing the period from post-war in the novel to pre-war while in fact it was fairly difficult to work out which it was as there seemed to be nothing at all to give an immediately identifiable 'label' for era.

The newest one, shown a couple of weeks ago, is even worse with a lot of abysmal CGI for some of the train riding scenes and a lot of poorly lit scenes to save having to properly dress the sets. Production and design standards have definitely nose-dived I think.

Archived