Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Improving the Hornby APT (1980s version)

• 2 weeks later...

Re ARC's post of 13th March 2013 about the wheel diameter on the trailer bogies, as I was the engineer who supervised the preparation of the manufacturing drawings I can tell him that the wheel diameter was 783.5mm. The reason for this peculiar dimension was that it was originally intended that they should be 785mm but, and here memory is slightly hazy as it was 38 years ago, we needed to put an insulating packing under the primary springs, so to avoid raising the height of the train and more importantly, to avoid the work involved in changing a number of drawings, it was easier to change the wheel diameter and sort the problems out at the series production stage (which never came).

BTW the power bogie wheel diameter was 864 mm .

Hope this is of interest.

So, rounding up to the nearest half mil, I make that 10.5mm wheels for trailer cars and 11.5mm for the power car then...

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at January to start making these available, need to judge the level of interest first as I would offer these as assembled vehicles. Main issue is the colour matching to the incorrect Hornby colours.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A few pics of the build so far, this is the eight trailers which I am building to someone to augment his Hornby set, colour matched to suit, apart from the coach at the top in the pic below, which is one of my original test buids in the correct colours.

15644414076_65c033480b_c.jpg
Untitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

15607957036_a2c0d0a561_c.jpg

15936764126_96af827675_c.jpg

15989110488_85efc23080_c.jpg
S1910003 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27
  • Like 9

I do intend making the etches available but still have some work to do on other bits and some revisions to be made. Thinking of making three options available, fully finished, assembled bodyshell but unpainted, which will require the purchaser to complete and basic components, which will require the purchaser to bend, roll and form the etches and assemble.

cheers

Shane

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...