Inserting URL using the insert link function

Good Morning,

A general query concerning insertion of URLs.

I have recently made a post which includes a URL to a video hosted on youtube.

I had expected this just to show the text of the URL as a 'hyperlink' that would need to be 'clicked' by the reader to access it, but no - the video is there for all to see by clicking play. As I do not own the copyright, it may be that the youtube uploader doesn't either, for the linked material, is posting the URL a breach of RMWeb Forum Rules?

Kind Regards,

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Most YouTube videos are designed to be "embedded" on other web sites like this.

Generally such "hot-linking" (displaying the actual content instead of a link to it) has been held to be not a copyright infringement because no actual copy is being made. The original owner of the material is still supplying and controlling the material from their server. It's not a copy on the RMweb server.

If there is any copyright issue, it will be between YouTube and the person who uploaded it. It is YouTube who are publishing it, not RMweb.

regards,

Martin.

Thanks Martin.

It may be 'old fashioned' but I hate the concept of a free for all sharing where the originator gets no royalties.

Andy.

The rules are quite clear before you you post a video on YouTube and with popular videos you can make money out of adverts that are added to the video.

I may be old fashioned but I like the concept of sharing my videos not for financial gain but for the pleasure of giving others enjoyment  in the similar vain to how RMweb is provided free to the end user for all that post therein to benefit!

XF

................I may be old fashioned but I like the concept of sharing my videos not for financial gain but for the pleasure of giving others enjoyment  in the similar vain to how RMweb is provided free to the end user for all that post therein to benefit!...............

Providing it's legal and above board.......

The point of my initial question was to ensure that I was not breaking RMWeb forum rules by copying the link. Whether or not the upload to youtube is in breach of their conditions is for others to decide. Though I think I can say with a certain amount of surety that there's a lot of 'pirate' material on there ?

As for sharing for others benefit - I totally agree but.........when and ONLY when it's mine to share in the first place and hence the question asked in the OP.

Archived