The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Web hosting services

Steve Taylor

Morning all.

I thought I'd ask over here as it does seem to be frequented by IT bods.

The last week has seen the deterioration of service to the point where I've said enough and have walked. I've a month to go before I'm made redundant and need to get a reliable portfolio gallery and email service up at the minimum long before then so I can get chasing work. I have a domain name and can tinker with these standard template do-hickies to start with. Eventually though I will need online sales/despatch for event photography and commercial client preview and downloading facilities. 

Given this outline, can anyone out there make recommendations as to what I need in the way of facilities and given this who would offer an economic and reliable service that allows me to retain my own domain name etc? Equally as important is what don't I need and who should I avoid like the plague.

Cheers in advance

Steve

(a soon to be independent photographer)

Something along the lines of the attached reference was what I had in mind for the site - not too complicated, minimal front of house functionality? Sorry about the car -if anyone's offended I can drop in a different pic ;)

post-7231-0-48339700-1359543652_thumb.jpg

I currently use UK2 hosting, who re-newed my hosting without telling me and put my bank account into the red for double what my original hosting fee had been (introductory rate)

I was going to be moving to Decode studios http://www.decodehosting.com they're based in Sheffield were very helpful and refunded all my payments when I was in the process of switching to them (believing my UK2 hosting was coming to an end)

When I move hosting I'll be heading their way.

I've been advised to avoid GoDaddy as until you have something on your webspace they use it for advertising space, you have no control over the advertising and they don't seem able to say no to anyone offering money.

short story - avoid UK2, avoid GoDaddy - use Decode

I've just signed up for a year with Dataflame and they seem pretty good so far, very reasonable too, they include a lot as standard that you'd pay extra for with other providers. Already had to use their support once, due to user error, and they were very helpful - this was a Sunday afternoon too!

I have previously used Clikpic for hosting my portfolios, selling to clients etc, see their web site for examples, cost etc

If you want to host your own site I have found Fasthost I have a few sites with them including 

webimpuk

Model Railway Shed

Both the above built with Xara web designer

Then there is Photobucket if you just want a photo hosting service they do a pro package that may well suite you

Thanks to all for your input. A temporary fix is being found on a mate's server to get my email and basic functions back. Ta for reminding me of Photobucket and the like and for the heads up on UK2 ... they'd made a half-way shortlist! but not any more.

• RMweb Gold

I highly recommend positive web WWW.positiveweb.co.UK. I have used them for several years for a charity I am involved with and cannot speak of them highly enough. Extremely helpful and patient with my questions.

Steve,if you get your broadband through BT then Flickr for pictures BUT not for selling.  There are lots of photographers out there on Flickr.   As already said Photobucket are not so choosy - and seemingly 'free'.

I got slightly disillusioned with RMweb over the NewYear when it stripped out all the pictures from my Blog - so I have set up a parallel Blog using Blogger.  This is seemingly 'free' and when setting up I noticed that there was an option to use your own Domain Name (which I didn't take up).

Good luck

Archived