GWR 1376 (ex- Bristol & Exeter 0-6-0T) Project

Hello again,

1376 now has a backhead (modified Hornby spare) and reversing lever (adapted from that provided with the donor Terrier). She has been painted, but not yet numbered or lettered. This should happen over the next few days. The cab roof is still loose and she needs coal and a crew also, but she's starting to look quite pretty!

Regards,

Rob

Hello everyone,

1376 has been numbered and lettered. In the absence of easily available etched numberplates, I printed my own.

For this, I scanned the GWR standard number set in Great Western Way (1st Ed) and then imported each numeral into MS Paint, coloured the numeral yellow and its background black. I saved each numeral as a separate jpg file. I then created a yellow rectangle, with black centre, imported each numeral into it, then rounded the corners. Once I was happy with that, I saved it as another jpg file, which I then imported to MSWord, adjusted its size and then printed onto glossy paper. I cut each one out and then coloured the white edges with a yellow felt pen.

"Great Western" and bufferbeam numbers are HMRS Pressfix transfers.

Here are some images, some of which recall photos of the real loco:

1376 with Tre Pol & Pen, inspired by H.C.Casserley's image taken in 1932 in Oswestry (published in "Locomotives at the Grouping, No 4, Great Western Railway", Ian Allen, 1966 and "More Great Western Steam in Wales and the Border Counties", Bradford Barton, 1975):

post-17793-0-85563200-1362724570_thumb.jpg

1376 with a cattle wagon, inspired by an image recently sold on eBay:

post-17793-0-75811300-1362724492_thumb.jpg

1376 near the coal stage, inspired by the image in Modellers’ Back Track, June/July 1992):

post-17793-0-55581200-1362724421_thumb.jpg

1376 with a set of 4-wheeled coaches, as she might have hauled on the Tanat Valley Railway so many years ago:

post-17793-0-16866900-1362724635_thumb.jpg

The only tasks remaining are:

• place coal in the bunker,
  • lacquer the transfers and numbers
  • find and install a suitable crew
  • fit appropriate marker lights

Regards,

Rob

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I've just read that this loco was fitted with a water-tube boiler when first built. Is this correct?

Presumably, it originally looked a lot different from the very good model described herein, which seems to have a lot of "Swindon rebuild" signatures.

Kevin

G'day, Kevin,

Thank you for your interest in this project. I've had a quick look at Part 3 of the RCTS volume "The Locomotives of the Great Western Railway - Absorbed Engines, 1854-1921". On page C63 it describes the original boiler dimensions:

• boiler barrel 11'4" x 4'2.375"
  • cylindrical firebox 6'5" long x 3'0" dia
  • 201 1.375"tubes
  • water capacity 320 gallons

There is no mention of a water tube boiler.

A sketch of the loco as built in Bristol is shown in figure C136.

The short account goes on to say: "...it is probable that comparably little of the originals remained after the 1881 rebuilding". This accounts for the Swindon look of the loco as modelled.

Regards,

Rob

Hmmm ...... doesn't 201 tubes sound a lot? I make the area of tubes to be roughly 1/3 of the area of firebox end (rear tubeplate), which wouldn't leave much 'meat', and poses questions about the position of the grate within the cylinder.

I'll have to look at drawings of Bagnall cylindrical fire boxes, and their tubing arrangements.

If it was as described, I wonder if it might have been inspired by the Bagnall loco used on the Brill Tramway, which was a similarly light railway, and quite widely written-up. The date fits almost exactly.

[Edit: forget that idea ..... I just checked, and the Brill locos had locomotive fireboxes]

Kevin

Archived