Did Newton Abbot (83A) have any 74xx Class Pannier Tanks allocated their in the 1950's?

• RMweb Gold

Good evening,

I've been doing some research on 74xx Pannier Tanks and I was wondering if Newton Abbot (83A) had any of this class allocated there in the 1950's?  The references I have for the area don't show any pictures and I haven't got a Locoshed book for this period the BRDatabase doesn't come up trumps either.

The reason I ask is I noticed Lionheart Trains do 7427 in black with early crest allocated to 83A.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Mark

PS: Spelling in title! :O Hopefully Andy can rectify it? Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I couldn't find any photos in my books of the area of 74xx Panniers.

Good to know though 7427 was. 

I presume they would have made it up the Teign Valley line with a yellow route classification then?

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I couldn't find any photos in my books of the area of 74xx Panniers.

Good to know though 7427 was. 

I presume they would have made it up the Teign Valley line with a yellow route classification then?

Cheers,

Mark

7427 is recorded as working on the Moretonhampstead Branch in

The Newton Abbot to Moretonhampstead Railway by A Kingdom and M Lang ((ARK Publications)

cheers

• RMweb Gold

7427 is recorded as working on the Moretonhampstead Branch in

The Newton Abbot to Moretonhampstead Railway by A Kingdom and M Lang ((ARK Publications)

cheers

Thanks once again Kevin.

Most of my books on the Mortenhamptead and Teign Valley Line are actually with a friend in Cornwall at present and I actually have the book you quoted.

Cheers,

Mark 

Hi Mark,

I can add a bit more to what the guys have already said.

7427 arrived new to 83A in 1937 and left for Swindon in March 1959.

7445 arrived from Cardiff Cathays in August 1957 and left for Oxford in May 1959.

As you would expect for light freight tanks they were employed on local trip freights with the 'Teignmouth Shunt' and lighter Trusham trips being the most frequent jobs. Prior to the arrival of the 94xx tanks in 1951, 7427 was also used extensively for carriage shunting duties at Newton Abbot. They also found work in Hackney and Newton New Yards. It has been written that 7427 was used on the Newton Works pilot duty, but that was the sole preserve of 1362 and later 1608.

You asked specifically about the 1950's, so I can also say that both carried plain black with the early crest during this time. They were both pretty camera shy whilst in Devon but I have an image of 7427 at Teignmouth in 1957 and one of 7445 on shed at 83A in 1958 if they are of use to you.

Hope this info is of use to you.

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

I can add a bit more to what the guys have already said.

7427 arrived new to 83A in 1937 and left for Swindon in March 1959.

7445 arrived from Cardiff Cathays in August 1957 and left for Oxford in May 1959.

As you would expect for light freight tanks they were employed on local trip freights with the 'Teignmouth Shunt' and lighter Trusham trips being the most frequent jobs. Prior to the arrival of the 94xx tanks in 1951, 7427 was also used extensively for carriage shunting duties at Newton Abbot. They also found work in Hackney and Newton New Yards. It has been written that 7427 was used on the Newton Works pilot duty, but that was the sole preserve of 1362 and later 1608.

You asked specifically about the 1950's, so I can also say that both carried plain black with the early crest during this time. They were both pretty camera shy whilst in Devon but I have an image of 7427 at Teignmouth in 1957 and one of 7445 on shed at 83A in 1958 if they are of use to you.

Hope this info is of use to you.

Regards,

Andy.

Evening Andy,

Thought that might fish you out asking about a Newton engine! :D

Thanks for the indepth reply-really useful information.  As I said earlier my books of the area are in Cornwall except the OPC Pomroy book on the Teign Valley Line I have to hand.

I would be interested to see those photos of 7427/7445 if possible. I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,

Mark

I would be interested to see those photos of 7427/7445 if possible.

No problem Mark,

I'll copy those images and e-mail them to you. I'm sure I have a shot of 7427 at Heathfield somewhere as well.

It will probably be at the weekend now though as I am up to my neck with an Ofsted Inspection at the moment!

Speak soon,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

It will probably be at the weekend now though as I am up to my neck with an Ofsted Inspection at the moment.

Thanks Andy,

Look forwards to seeing them.

As for an Ofsted Inspection-Hmmmmm! Oh-Joy!

Cheers,

Mark

Archived