Colour match for Bachmann BR Blue.

Unfortunately you will never be able to match a factory finish, only come close, and Bachmann's BR Blue has changed over the years. A good starting point is Lifecolour BR blue for the more recent releases. Weathering will also help disguise any colour disparity.

Hi 

I would agree with what has been said by Steveb80 in getting a colour match,I did a respray of a GWR grange into a BR one and the Colour was a little different  than the Hornby BR Colour they use.

So getting a match would be very hard too get,but with a bit of weathering would look OK.

Darren01

Hello Paul,

As steveb860 said the Bachmann BR blue has changed over the years and for the better. The earlier releases were a darker blue not unlike the colour Hornby use, which equates to the colour of a real loco in the landscape viewed from a distance. I suppose their logic is that a model railway is viewed from a distance so you take in the whole train, this colour replicates the effect of atmospheric pollution. 

The good news is that current Bachmann releases have got the colour more or less spot on, the blue is brighter and much more vibrant like a freshly painted real loco. You can then choose to leave it with pristine paintwork or weather it to your taste. 

Many of my earlier Bachmann purchases have now been stripped and resprayed with Phoenix Precision BR Blue.

Take heart though as back in the day no two BR blue locos were the same colour as oil and brake dust contamination combined with wash plant scrubbing turned that fresh blue paint a more greenish blue and the sun bleached the paint to varying degrees until some 08 shunters were almost a ghostly blue grey!

Geoff.

Hi, am altering a couple of Bachmann blue diesels, hopfully they wont need a respray. Does anyone have any idea which 'BR blue' is the best match?

Thanks Paul.

A good starting point would be to look at the colours Railmatch sell!

Guest 40-something

I used Railmatch BR Blue enamel to reduce the yellow panel on this class 20, I found it a bit lighter than the Bachmann shade (applied over a grey base)  but with a bit of weathering its blended in ok.

• 3 months later...

Archived