EM conversion, Alan Gibson wheels/axles

I've recently recieved a conversion kit for a Bachmann GWR Pannier 8750,

I've never done a conversion before.

Had a quick look at the replacement wheels and axles, which are Alan Gibson and the wheels are a very tight fit on the axles. They look like they will go on, with some gentle tapping from a small hammer.

Are they supposed to be as tight as this? There is no mention of this in the EMGS manual sheet, it just says  "Fix the wheels to the axles, using a wheel quartering device, or by eye aligning the spokes by looking through them".

If they are supposed to be this tight how can you make any minor adjustments for wheel quartering.

A couple of things will help. Firstly, put a small taper on the ends of the axles and the inside of the axle holes in the wheels. This makes sure the axle follws the hole in the wheel, rather than gouging out a wider hole.

Secondly, I highly recommend the GW wheel press - quarters correctly every time, in my experience.

Not having a jig, I do it as follows.

First taper the inside of the wheel bore as already described and then gently press one wheel onto the axle. The axle end should be flush with the wheel. Repeat with other wheel, setting the quartering - I always align the spokes by eye. Finger pressure on the boss should be all that is required. Then fit the axle in the chassis. I'd start with the driven axle. Repeat the process with the second axle but only press the wheel on part way. Fit the coupling rods and check all runs freely without binding. Once OK press the wheel home and check again. Then repeat for the third axle.

Archived