Project - container tilter for scrap loading

shortliner

I'm working - very slowly (too cold to be out in the garage) on a small project of a transloading facility, and seeing some photos on another forum of scrap being off-loaded by a grab crane from gondolas into 20' containers for export, made me think that this was yet another "industry" that could be added to the basic concept. The containers are removed from the truck trailers, and tilted to get the maximum amount of scrap inside.  They can be tilted to 90° but it becomes difficult to model one in that position, so I went for 45° of tilt - build is finished and being left to "set solidly" proir to painting. The container is a cut-down one from a kit obtained from Germany - the rest is plastruct and scratched from the scrap box, and based on one (Though not completely prototypical), manufactured by A J Ward, found on the internet

post-6688-0-26516100-1360163589.jpg

post-6688-0-24821100-1360163587.jpg

post-6688-0-73218600-1360163585.jpg

Further photos may follow when painting is completed

Great work Jack, will go just a treat in a transloading yard. These sort of details are what can turn a plain old spur I to and interesting feature, I built a small transloading conveyor for my spur to unload covered hoppers.

Anyone in London can see 3 of these at work just off the north circular at Tottenham. I've been under them at scrapyards several times. They're usually in the most awkward corner of the yard and a swine to reverse into. I detest going into scrapyards with my truck purely for the damage caused to tyres by debris.

Pete

I can just imagine someone spotting one of these with an intelligence satellite, and deciding it's some sort of multiple-missile launcher...

The scrap packed within is presumably bound for the Far-East; there've been a couple of derailments of container trains carrying boxes packed with scrap, where the load is uneven over the box floor.

That was the only method I could think of, but at the end of Jack's video, the thumbnails seemed to show vehicles that didn't / couldn't tip.

A couple of options come to mind- one would be the tipping trailer, another would be simply to use the 'tilter' in reverse, more accurately, elevate the closed end and let gravity do its bit. In that way, you could use an ordinary skeletal, which are much more commonplace.

I was glad to see there was integral weighing; the weight distribution aspect does concern me though, as there have been several instances of derailment of container trains in the UK due to uneven loads. At least one of these, between Saltley and Washwood Heath, was down to uneven loading of scrap.

I thought the CAD animation may show the thing working in reverse. Problem would be, of course, if unloading scrap, they would have to ensure everything was cleared as would be a risk to tyres.

Scrap merchants don't bother about piffling details like that...

Another bit of the site shows their container unloaders, which seem to be slightly different to the loaders.

I was interested to see that the firm are actually in Auckland, New Zealand; not a country one normally associates with engineering innovation.

Archived