• RMweb Gold

Having read the favourable comments on the other Z21 thread I had more-or-less decided to go for the Z21 system for my new layout currently under construction. About ten years ago I had a Digitrax system on my old layout but that is a bit long in the tooth these days. More recently I've been using a Roco multiMouse on my dcc test track but that has its limitations. I think it is about time for me to be hauled into the 21st century

As with most things, I seem to do things backwards so yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and get the smartRail set with the Austrian Cl.310 steamie as I've been contemplating a rolling road for testing run my digital locos as well as changing CVs especially those on sound-equiped locos. SmartRail does this - bit of overkill but what the hell.

A quick call was made to the HobbyShop at Faversham for the set to be reserved. Had a pleasant bus ride over to Canterbury and on to Faversham this morning to collect a very, very large box. Set it up this evening and it looks like this:

post-586-0-51100100-1360443990.jpg

Have decided this time round that I'm going to read the instruction book first rather than "think I know how" of the past. This evening's lesson was to set it up, stick a loco on it and get it to work. Pleased to advise that it does what it says in the book. Tomorrow will look at programming and changing CVs.

As part of my backwards way of doing things another thing to do is to get one of those smartphone thingymebobs. Up until now my basic mobile phone has been used to make phone calls which is what I thought they were for but I think I now have to move with the times. Vodaphone shop here I come.....

.....and once I've got the smartphone then it will need a Z21 base station.....and more things to learn.

Keith

You could keep your brick phone and buy a cheap tablet instead. The Roco app should work with any android based tablet. This may be cheaper too as a "free" smartphone usually entails higher monthly cost and some of those offered are pretty rubbish. I have also found the phones screen size a problem as I am unable to touch some of the icons accurately due to my sausage fingers!

Does the Roco loco have the new steam generator on it?

• RMweb Gold

I've been reading the smartRail manual and am beginning to think what you suggest is the way to go.....will start looking for a tablet now!! Don't think it would be feasible using the "control stands" (drivers cab layouts) on a smartphone....

The loco that came with the rolling road is an Austrian loco (that I liked the look of - even though it's an ugly beast!!) and does not have a steam generator on it.

Keith

Archived