Heljan 7mm scale AC Cars Railbus now painted

brian daniels

No Chris. Got to leave something for the modeller to do himself. I would not think there would be any decals used on the inside to be honest either.

I was joking about the seats - would be nice to have the pattern but I've no idea how you would do it. The partitions around the cab were apparently a Swindon modification because the drivers didn't want to sit out with the passengers. The bi-fold doors are the heaviest thing on the whole vehicle - Formica-covered blockboard - with very much homemade little brass handles! The driver's seat was just a perch - a wood and aluminium box with a dark green vinyl padded top!

CHRIS LEIGH

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think this model might have just have narrowed down the location choices for 'Little Shuffling on the Plank'... according to the Pacer Preservation Society website W79975, W79976, W79977 and W79978 worked Kemble to Cirencester Town and the Kemble-Tetbury branch from 1959 until until 1964 so that's Cotswolds then...

...but then again W79976 and W79975 worked between Yeovil Town and Yeovil Junction from December 1964 so it might just have to be Somerset!

Hmmm... also wondering if we'll be able to get  some of those underframe components as spares? The engine block and the exhaust pipe and silencer mouldings look a great deal more convincing that the whitemetal castings currently lurking beneath my 121!

David

...but then again W79976 and W79975 worked between Yeovil Town and Yeovil Junction from December 1964 so it might just have to be Somerset!

and W79976 (at least) to Yeovil Pen Mill as a 'parcels car'.....

and still with their WR numbers on some very nice lines in Scotland 1966-8......

CHRIS LEIGH

Depends which end of the route you have in mind - Yeovil Junction (until quite recently) was in Dorset... As a former Yeovilian, albeit of a rather later vintage, I might be more than tempted by the 4mm version.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just love the rail bus, unfortunately even with modeller's license (a great deal of it) there is no way I can justify this in the Eastern Region.

Brian, does it run nice and smooth from low speed?

Just love the rail bus, unfortunately even with modeller's license (a great deal of it) there is no way I can justify this in the Eastern Region.

Not sure that the real thing did!! 

CHRIS LEIGH

I'm not in a position to access my old spotting books, but Cambridge (ER) was the home of the W&M railbuses. Possibly because of this, it became a mecca for different types at odd times, I saw most of the varieties there whilst at school. So Rule 1 might apply?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

!  Thats annoying then :sarcastic:  I still cannot see an excuse to run it.......maybe Heljan will bring out a 7mm of the W&M bus......I have that in 4mm and its a cracker, perfect for my area.

Yes David it did run very nicely. It helps having a fair bit of weight as usual.

• 4 months later...

I have painted a second sample of the AC Railbus with a half yellow end and a white cab roof.. Looks rather nice  think.

The first picture shows that this model has a sound decoder fitted which is a 21 pin version so just plugs in. The two speaker wires go down through a hole in the roof and through a plastic conduit to go under the floor and onto an ESU speaker screwed in place underneath.

post-6766-0-88805400-1377100925.jpg

post-6766-0-80011300-1377100927.jpg

post-6766-0-25084700-1377100930.jpg

post-6766-0-10159200-1377100932.jpg

post-6766-0-33912800-1377100934.jpg

post-6766-0-25175000-1377100936.jpg

Guest 838rapid

Anyone have an idea when its likely to be possible to purchese one of these??

Nice paint job Brian,thats the Livery I prefer

I am not really sure when they are hopefully being released but they have just signed off the livery details I believe so a fully painted pre-production model will have to be produced and then any corrections if needed. I would think early next year, but I could be wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

W79977 received this repaint after a prang at Swindon. However, it had already suffered and even in the older livery it had additional beading on at least one end following a repair, which made it readily identifiable. It's not a detail that could be included on a model without an additional tool, which would clearly not be viable. The extra beading ran approximately up the left-hand edge of the yellow panel. 

CHRIS LEIGH

W79977 received this repaint after a prang at Swindon. However, it had already suffered and even in the older livery it had additional beading on at least one end following a repair, which made it readily identifiable. It's not a detail that could be included on a model without an additional tool, which would clearly not be viable. The extra beading ran approximately up the left-hand edge of the yellow panel. 

CHRIS LEIGH

So, Chris, if I'm reading this right, anyone wanting W79977 to be accurate will have to do some modelling after they've bought it RTR?  :no:

So that should please all styles of O gauge users! :jester:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived