Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LNER platform parcels trolleys

chaz

Can anybody help me with references/links/info on the parcels trolleys of the type that can be seen in many pictures taken at Kings X and elsewhere in steam days.
What I'm really after is either a dimensioned drawing or sketch or at least a good photo from which I could prepare a drawing myself. I want some 7mm models for my exhibition layout, Dock Green but haven't been able to find either a kit of a ready-made - sack barrows and 2 wheel carts, yes, but the 4 wheel trolley with castor wheels at one end to steer, no.

Chaz

edited to correct the arrangement of castor wheels

Are you referring to the Brute trolleys? They have 4 wheels, with 2 pivotted, and were introduced in 1964 so would have been around in steam days. If so Peter Clark makes them in 7mm http://www.peterclarkkits.com/lineside-accessories.html

Julian

Thanks for that Julian. Had a look at your link and no, not the Brutes. Unfortunately 1964 is out for me - steam disappeared on the ECML south of Peterboro' in 62, I believe. Pity, they look nice models.

The trolleys I have in mind were largely wood, with a flat platform, an upright wooden frame at each end, fixed wheels at one end and castor type at the other. they were much older than the Brutes, you can see them in photos taken at Kings X in the thirties.

The best picture I have found is on page 17 of Peter Coster's "Book of the Great Northern - Part 1". Although posting this would unfortunately infringe copyright.

Chaz

You might be able to modify the Springside GWR ones - item 63

http://www.springsidemodels.com/id16.htm

Dave

I might well Dave, and thanks for the  link. Unfortunately there is no picture on that site, just a price list so it's impossible to judge. However I did find an image of a 4mm model of the GWR trolley which suggests too many differences to make conversion much quicker than scratchbuilding. The search for information continues......

Since it appears that there aren't two the same, almost anything goes!

Hmm, not sure that's quite right. All the trolleys in the picture look to be of broadly the same pattern. The two closest to the camera are probably presenting opposite ends - one has a towing bar, the other a hasp and pin -a train of them could be hooked together and towed, probably by a Lister tractor. Two of the trolleys have a plank on the side, the nearest one is a flatbed but this is a small difference which could easily be modelled on the same basic type.

However someone on the LNER Encyclopaedia forum has posted me a copy of an LNER diagram for a platform trolley (just like a wagon diagram) which includes dimensions so a reasonably accurate model might well be possible.

Chaz

It may be my imagination, but some of the trolleys to the back of the photo look to be different heights too. Some appear to have 5 vertical struts and some only 4. Some have horizontal end-planks and some have none. Anything goes?

It may be my imagination, but some of the trolleys to the back of the photo look to be different heights too. Some appear to have 5 vertical struts and some only 4. Some have horizontal end-planks and some have none. Anything goes?

Well, OK, but if I am going to the trouble of making some, and I don't seem to have the option of "RTR", then they might as well be an accurate model of at least one of these styles. 

Here's the diagram that I have acquired, very useful as it includes all the dimensions I will need...

LNERBarrowDia3part600x340_zps0440cde5.jp

I should say that this is a different pattern to the ones in the photo at Kings X - being intended to be pushed by hand, rather than being towed by a tractor - but it will do nicely as a style for Dock Green.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

I have only just seen this thread but can confirm that the "Scotch" Barrow drawing is one of several similar ones that appear in the "London and North Eastern Railway diagrams of Passenger Barrows" book. There is the one given above, a "Small Scotch Barrow" for office work, a "Heavy Scotch barrow", and a "Heavy Scotch Barrow for Fish".

The diagram you have is the nearest one to the photo but none of them are spot on. So that would suggest to me that the ones in the photo may not be of LNER origin but may date back to GNR days, hence the variations and differences between them and the LNER diagram.

There are 17 diagrams in the book and in the copy I have, somebody has written on the full drawing reference numbers, which may be the ones on the NRM lists but I am struggling to search lists easily!

It is a shame that there are only side and end elevations in the diagram book but combined with a good photo they should give enough details to build a reasonably accurate model and I wish you good luck with the venture!

Tony

I have only just seen this thread but can confirm that the "Scotch" Barrow drawing is one of several similar ones that appear in the "London and North Eastern Railway diagrams of Passenger Barrows" book. There is the one given above, a "Small Scotch Barrow" for office work, a "Heavy Scotch barrow", and a "Heavy Scotch Barrow for Fish".

The diagram you have is the nearest one to the photo but none of them are spot on. So that would suggest to me that the ones in the photo may not be of LNER origin but may date back to GNR days, hence the variations and differences between them and the LNER diagram.

There are 17 diagrams in the book and in the copy I have, somebody has written on the full drawing reference numbers, which may be the ones on the NRM lists but I am struggling to search lists easily!

It is a shame that there are only side and end elevations in the diagram book but combined with a good photo they should give enough details to build a reasonably accurate model and I wish you good luck with the venture!

Tony

Thanks Tony. As I want several barrows I am seeking to have a brass etch prepared. Scratchbuilding maybe ten barrows, even though they are a relatively simple design, is not really best use of my time....

Chaz

Archived