South Gloucester Model Warehouse Yate

Fenway Park

Hi,

Dropped in on Rovergull yesterday to see his new premises.

He was busy updating his web site.

The shop is more accessible within walking distance of Yate railway station and on several bus routes.

The tea bar was in full flow. Enjoyed a long discussion with Calne Fox while examining the latest arrivals from Farish.

Will visit soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was in there a week ago and things are looking ok. Still things to do but well on the way to being a good shop.

Hi guys

A little bit of News went a long way and got me a whole lot of new customers very quickly and is still doing so. Who says there is no such thing as bad news.

Well they did give me coverage to really help promote the company but the gripe was a real one and I worry a bit about how the government is hoping to raise more taxes. I fear the smaller businesses like ours will be seen as the whipping boys. And I include all model shops, even Hattons!. unless yours is a multi million pound business turning over hundreds of millions a year with many staff you will be in the firing line. Only the really big players will be able to shout loudly enough to be heard. and then I doubt the message will be heeded.

I have new staff and much better premises than before and its much more comfortable. needless to say we are working better as conditions are making things easier for us.

And as business is picking up we are finding the money to do things we had to put on hold for a while.

Jerry is in the shop a lot nowadays and lends a hand to modeling. (no not page 3, we have already had that joke)

Tea is frequently on the boil and sometimes iced buns or creamy thingys. if your very lucky! thats if we havent knicked em all in the meantime.

My health is slowly improving as I am able to ease up a tad but hours are sill long. there is so much to do that I still need the 48 hour day 10 days a week. our commisions are now booked for the next 6 to 8 months solid with not much room to slot in extra work.

there is still a very friendly welcome and jokes still abound although Jerry's are worse than mine some of the time and that saying something.

The Web site is coming on and you can now see the test page for the online shop. you can't order from there yet but it should be easier to navigate. as we sort out the thousands of products.

Thankas for the nice comments

Rovergull

P.S.

Had a great expo at Bristol TM and Rode in Wiltshire. not forgetting Cardiff.( A show thats really on the UP) met a lot of colleegues in the trade and had a fun time. roll on next years shows

• 1 year later...

I recently called in on Andy's shop whilst returning from a meeting in Bristol. As I had less time to mooch than I'd intended, I only really saw half the stock. There's a great deal to see so my advice to potential callers - the shop is well worth a visit but you'll find the stock is quite literally from floor to ceiling. Unless you know exactly what you're after do allow yourself enough time for searching through all the many various boxes and shelves. It'll probably be worth it.

So glad to see a Nativity scene amidst all the other goodies in the Christmas window dislay, by the way.

Steve.

• 3 years later...

Shop has now gone - something else is in it's place. Anyone know when it closed?

Andy closed the shop in the Spring.  I believe he is now trading from his base in Gloucester.   He had a trade stand at the recent Cardiff show and we expect him to appear at our Yate show in January.

Jim.

• RMweb Gold

Noticed on the SGMW Facebook page, Andy ceased trading in Yate due to ill health back in July.

Sad to hear the Yate shop has gone, although not a regular customer it was always handy for sundry items paint, plastic rodding etc, and always came away with an item of rolling stock I wasn't expecting to buy.

Best wishes for the future Andy and get well soon.

Neil

Andy rang me earlier this year to say that he'd probably be closing the shop sometime this year.  I hadn't heard from him since so I wasn't sure what had happened since.  I'm glad to learn that he had a trade stand at Cardiff.  Hope he makes the Yate event and meanwhile hopefully I'll see him here in Gloucester.

Archived