Rail traffic to Dow Chemicals King's Lynn

Mark P

Can anybody please assist with information on the rail based chemical traffic to and from Dow Chemicals at King's Lynn during the 1980s?

From Paul Bartlett's excellent site I have been able to find a VTG butadiene TTA (white with horizontal orange stripe) at King's Lynn and have seen photographs of these within Speedlink workings to and from Lynn, but were these associated with Dow?

Paul's site also shows TTA and TUA tankers carrying caustic soda for Dow as well as ferry tankers carrying bromine, did any of this traffic go to King's Lynn?

Also was any of the outgoing finished product taken by rail?

Any information gratefully received.

Regards

Mark

I've a photo of one of those BR ferry tanks, bromine, at Hoo Junction, 1984, and the hazchem panel shows King's Lynn as the contact point.

Do you know what products they made there? Might give us a clue as to feedstocks.

23 70 749 0 001 8

post-6971-0-44049800-1361097732.jpg

post-6971-0-67974700-1361097728.jpg

Edit: the one next to it, 43 70 749 0 297 8, also has the same hazchem panel

Another edit: butadiene and bromine are both involved in the production of rubber, which is one of Dow's product lines.

Thank you for the responses, some very interesting workings on your colleague's site LNERGE.

The butadiene traffic was indeed for Dow so with caustic soda and bromine tanks also working in that gives me at least three different tank wagons to try and model, great to see some line drawings amongst the information you linked to Paul.

As far as I know during the 80s the site made agro-chemicals, synthetic rubber products (uses butadiene) and styrene products.

I am still unable to confirm whether there was any outgoing traffic flow, looking at the Speedlink consists it must have been in standard long wheelbase vans if there was any.

Regards

Mark

Archived